Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

choosing a new credit card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

choosing a new credit card

Hey y'all, I'm looking for some advice on which credit card i should apply for. Here's my situation: 

My EQ is 679

I have a FAKO from credit one @ 683

I have a derogatory item from two years ago, an American Express which i was past 60 days late, which I have paid off about 6 months ago. 

In the last year I've gone from 591 to 679, working towards that +700!! I have a Credit One with a CL of $1,000 and a Capital One with a CL of $750. This month I just brought my credit utilization down from 58% to 8%. I'm looking for a card to basically put in the sock draw. Last month i applied for a Discover card and was denied. And capital One will not increase my CL on my current platinum card. I was thinking of maybe Chase Slate? Any suggestions? 

Thanks for your input. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: choosing a new credit card

Hello and welcome to the forums.

I moved your post to the Credit Card forums so the gurus in here can have a shot at it. 

Shogun, myFICO moderator.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 6
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Shogun wrote:

Hello and welcome to the forums.

I moved your post to the Credit Card forums so the gurus in here can have a shot at it. 

Shogun, myFICO moderator.

Hi there!  Welcome to MyFico Forums!!

Based on your credit profile, I recommend that you take a look at any of the offerings from Barclays... and also take a look at Wal Mart Discover. You would also stand a chance at approval on Paypal Rewards Mastercard. Of these, I like Wal Mart the most for a sock drawer card... however, I do think that you should actually use the card and pay in full, as the credit limit will grow with you!

You will also gain free Transunion Fico Scores from Wal Mart Best of luck!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 6
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey y'all, I'm looking for some advice on which credit card i should apply for. Here's my situation: 

My EQ is 679

@I have a FAKO from credit one @ 683

I have a derogatory item from two years ago, an American Express which i was past 60 days late, which I have paid off about 6 months ago. 

In the last year I've gone from 591 to 679, working towards that +700!! I have a Credit One with a CL of $1,000 and a Capital One with a CL of $750. This month I just brought my credit utilization down from 58% to 8%. I'm looking for a card to basically put in the sock draw. Last month i applied for a Discover card and was denied. And capital One will not increase my CL on my current platinum card. I was thinking of maybe Chase Slate? Any suggestions? 

Thanks for your input. 

Welcome aboard!

So you want to replace your CreditOne 1K  and CapOne 750. With Util 8%, you can be ready to apply. 

Could you please provide us your AAOA and age of oldest tradeline? Also the # of INQs please.

What were the reasons for the Discover denial? Btw, do you still have that amex?

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 4 of 6
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Honestly,

My first step would be writing a goodwill letter to Amex. From what I've read, here, they don't tend to hold a grudge.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 6
p-
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

...capital One will not increase my CL on my current platinum card....

I would keep the Cap1 open, and keep rotating money through it.  In a year or two, when you have scores around 700 and more history, they will PC you to a beter card and give you a high limit.  I did the same thing recently, and wrote up what I learned.  Click the Cap1 card in my signature if you want to see the details.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.