Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

citi credit limit transfer?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

citi credit limit transfer?

i want to close a citi credit card. am i able to transfer the credit line of the to-be-closed citi card over to another citi credit card? or will this result in a hard pull?

If the above doesn't work, is there a certain way to request a credit line increase via a soft pull? 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: citi credit limit transfer?

I did several years ago but I don't know if things have changed or not. I was annoyed that I was always denied a CLI on my Citi Double Cash. So when I called to close it, the CSR asked if I would like to transfer the CL to my CitiCostco. Really 😁. Oh yeah!  That worked because my Costco card now has a CL I can use. And I was so happy she even asked this too because at that time, I had no idea this could even be done. Call them and ask. Oh yeah, and it wasn't a HP. However, make sure to ask. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 2 of 12
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Interesting... Everything I've read seems to suggest credit line reallocations with Citi are a hard pull.

I've been wanting to move a chunk of available credit from my $17K Rewards+ to my $3K Premier but I've put it off because I don't want the HP right now.

Message 3 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

i want to close a citi credit card. am i able to transfer the credit line of the to-be-closed citi card over to another citi credit card? or will this result in a hard pull?

If the above doesn't work, is there a certain way to request a credit line increase via a soft pull? 

Technically, no.

Citi doesn't do credit limit reallocations like Chase or BoA, for example. Sometimes it requires escalation and the right individual to see whether your account qualifies. By that end, it's basically reducing the line on the card you want to close or move the limit from and increase the line on the intended or 'keeper' card. In plenty of cases, this will result in a HP.

If you prefer not to jump through hoops, then you'll need to check your individual accounts online to see if they qualify for a SP CLI. The disclaimer will indicate something along the lines that a credit report will not be pulled/accessed (that's the SP language).  If you do not see that, then you'll need to decide whether the HP route is worth it.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks everyone

Message 5 of 12
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

A few years ago, I called to close my Prestige card and was offered the option to move some of my existing credit limit to another account with no hard pull.  As far I understand, this is only offered for accounts that one is closing.  When requesting limit reallocation between open accounts, the general consensus is that a hard pull will result.

April 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver
FICO8:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 12 mos | New Accounts: 0/6, 0/12, 2/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 6 of 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

When I closed my Premier card in February, I was unable to move any of the $14k limit to my Rewards+ card, even after politely escalating to a supervisor.  I was told that they had recently received instruction that they were no longer allowed to do this, and essentially closing the card and then asking for a HP CLI the next time my card was eligible was my sole option.

Message 7 of 12
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

When I closed my Premier card in February, I was unable to move any of the $14k limit to my Rewards+ card, even after politely escalating to a supervisor.  I was told that they had recently received instruction that they were no longer allowed to do this, and essentially closing the card and then asking for a HP CLI the next time my card was eligible was my sole option.

Well that stinks.

Message 8 of 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Yes it does.  I was actually okay with letting them do a HP to move the limits as had been the case prior to a number of reported no-pull reallocations here done in 2019 and 2020.  Guess I just waited too long to close it out.  In the end, I accepted that a $40k sock drawer card really wasn't any more useful than a $26k sock drawer card.  😂 

Message 9 of 12
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Thanks for the recent data point!

April 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver
FICO8:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 12 mos | New Accounts: 0/6, 0/12, 2/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.