Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

citi double cash question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

citi double cash question

has anyone recently applied for, been approved, and received the citi double cash? if so, did yours come as a world or world elite mastercard? im trying to gage how it could turn out cause i know some people get world and some get world elite. thanks! (asking for a friend who was approved for $4,500 on DC and has an Arrival+ WEMC if it means anything)

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: citi double cash question

The Arrival+ WEMC wouldn't mean much really.  However, based on various CC boards and approval trends, it's either one or the other depending on the individual's profile.  Recent approvals have been either WMC or WEMC, regardless of SL.  So your friend's outcome can be either.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got mine for 3k and it is a WEMC

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think my DC card had a SL of $1000, and it came as a WEMC.

Message 4 of 11
Sharingan
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

has anyone recently applied for, been approved, and received the citi double cash? if so, did yours come as a world or world elite mastercard? im trying to gage how it could turn out cause i know some people get world and some get world elite. thanks! (asking for a friend who was approved for $4,500 on DC and has an Arrival+ WEMC if it means anything)

My Double Cash is a simple 'World MasterCard.' It wasn't until fairly recently that Citi started issuing World Elite MasterCards for the Double Cash, which many consider to be faux due to them lacking many of the features typically offered on WEMCs. When it comes to the Double Cash, I don't believe credit profile has anything to do with a cardholder receiving the WEMC over the WMC simply because those with 20something% APRs wouldn't get the WEMC if that were the case. I have the lowest advertised rate on my DC, yet I have the WMC with the ugly clown colored logo on the back. 

I truly believe that it is completely random whether one gets the WMC or the WEMC. What other sensible reason could there be for distinguishing between the two on this credit product when both levels are stripped down, devoid of the usual benefits, and handed out with unfavorable credit terms? 

Message 5 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Sharingan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My Double Cash is a simple 'World MasterCard.' It wasn't until fairly recently that Citi started issuing World Elite MasterCards for the Double Cash, which many consider to be faux due to them lacking many of the features typically offered on WEMCs. When it comes to the Double Cash, I don't believe credit profile has anything to do with a cardholder receiving the WEMC over the WMC simply because those with 20something% APRs wouldn't get the WEMC if that were the case. I have the lowest advertised rate on my DC, yet I have the WMC with the ugly clown colored logo on the back. 

I truly believe that it is completely random whether one gets the WMC or the WEMC. What other sensible reason could there be for distinguishing between the two on this credit product when both levels are stripped down, devoid of the usual benefits, and handed out with unfavorable credit terms? 

I don't think that it's random.  Obviously, there's an algortihm that determine why someone receives WMC vs WEMC, and while we can see on the surface that even the DC WEMC is a stripped-down version of some actual WEMC benefits, somehow Citi determines what the criteria yields such an outcome (since WMCs are still being issued).

Interestingly enough, and as I have mentioned before, when I PC'd my Dividend WEMC to Double Cash (given there wasn't a bonus to begin with), it retained the actual WEMC "usable" benefits that were part of Dividend, including the Flexible Spending feature, etc.  Yet, folks who get the current WEMC version don't get that feature + the other WEMC benefits as you mentioned.  At the end of the day, does it really matter?   These days WEMC is as diluted as most cards come so it's not entirely a unique product tier.  As I've said before, some individuals are impressed by the silver balls Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 11
Sharingan
Established Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't think that it's random.  Obviously, there's an algortihm that determine why someone receives WMC vs WEMC, and while we can see on the surface that even the DC WEMC is a stripped-down version of some actual WEMC benefits, somehow Citi determines what the criteria yields such an outcome (since WMCs are still being issued).

Interestingly enough, and as I have mentioned before, when I PC'd my Dividend WEMC to Double Cash (given there wasn't a bonus to begin with), it retained the actual WEMC "usable" benefits that were part of Dividend, including the Flexible Spending feature, etc.  Yet, folks who get the current WEMC version don't get that feature + the other WEMC benefits as you mentioned.  At the end of the day, does it really matter?   These days WEMC is as diluted as most cards come so it's not entirely a unique product tier.  As I've said before, some individuals are impressed by the silver balls Smiley Very Happy

We'll have to disagree on that. If it was so obvious, then what is the criteria? Your guess is just as good as mine, and both are entirely speculative. Regardless, you are correct that it doesn't matter at the end of the day. Both do their primary jobs equally as good. 

Message 7 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Sharingan wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

We'll have to disagree on that. If it was so obvious, then what is the criteria? Your guess is just as good as mine, and both are entirely speculative. Regardless, you are correct that it doesn't matter at the end of the day. Both do their primary jobs equally as good. 

Point taken and I agree with you, as long as either card works as intended, then it's all good.

Message 8 of 11
GeorgiaBulldog
Regular Contributor

Mine came as a world elite last month.  Starting limit of $3600 if that is of interest.

Favorite cards: AMEX Morgan Stanley Platinum | BofA Alaska | Chase Hyatt | Citi AA Executive | FNBO Amtrak
Message 9 of 11
kdm31091
Super Contributor

FinStar wrote: At the end of the day, does it really matter?  

Pretty much sums it up.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.