Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

closed credit cards still on credit report

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: closed credit cards still on credit report

CreditCard101 wrote:

Accounts are in good standing usually stay in report for 10 years MAX. All accounts over 10 years are automatically REMOVED regardless of good or bad accounts. 

Except when they're not. We've had a number of members report the presence of accounts older than ten years post-closure that are still on their reports. Smiley Happy

When this happens, the advice is to tiptoe.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had many cards over the years and closing does not remove them from your reports. So at one point I called a Credit Bureau and they told me I had to write that company and ask them to stop reporting on my closed account. It worked. When you get your report there is sometimes a list of the addresses for the creditors you have.

Two of my scores are in the 800's now thanks to Dave Ramsey.Time to celebrate!

Message 12 of 16
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Accounts are in good standing usually stay in report for 10 years MAX. All accounts over 10 years are automatically REMOVED regardless of good or bad accounts.

Except when they're not. We've had a number of members report the presence of accounts older than ten years post-closure that are still on their reports. Smiley Happy

When this happens, the advice is to tiptoe.

The CRAs are far, far from flawless. Sometimes things stay on longer than they're legally supposed to, sometimes they get deleted early. Either of these mistakes can be harmful or helpful depending on the info. This is course is why it's important to stay on top of your CRs.

Message 13 of 16
nyclizzo

Who would I write the attention to when writing to the credit card company??
Message 14 of 16
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've had many cards over the years and closing does not remove them from your reports. So at one point I called a Credit Bureau and they told me I had to write that company and ask them to stop reporting on my closed account. It worked. When you get your report there is sometimes a list of the addresses for the creditors you have.

Two of my scores are in the 800's now thanks to Dave Ramsey.Time to celebrate!

As has been noted here before it is peculiar that posters who introduce "DR" into a thread also have a post count of 1.

I can assure you sir (or madame), as well as anyone else possessing an 800+ FICO score, that the person to pat on the back for your success is yourself. There is little to nothing that another can offer by way of advice to propel your score to that height. 700 maybe - 800+, it's all you!

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I wrote the credit card company, I simply wrote: To whom it may concern:

It will get to the right department if you add a reference (RESmiley Happy line before the greeting. I would include my account number in that line. Never had a problem! I usually received a response acknowleding my request.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.