Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

closing credit cards

tag
jaraico
Regular Contributor

closing credit cards

does 4 closed credit cards in good standing not look bad ? like i have a lack of foresight? I know the obvious affects like utilization and history. But wondering when a lender sees so many closed cards does it seem almost irresponsible?

P.s I have 6 open cards
Barclays TU: 760 MyFico EX: 746 EQ:?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Re: closing credit cards

Depends on the lender and the history I would think.

There are obviously valid reasons for closing cards,  AF that wasn't worth it, benefits you can't use any more, better card came along.

I doubt if this is that high on the lenders check list, compared to lates, defaults, too many recent apps etc.   In some ways closing shows that you are not just taking every credit opportunity that comes along.

Message 2 of 4
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@jaraico wrote:
does 4 closed credit cards in good standing not look bad ? like i have a lack of foresight? I know the obvious affects like utilization and history. But wondering when a lender sees so many closed cards does it seem almost irresponsible?

P.s I have 6 open cards

Not at all.   Credit needs come and go.

Message 3 of 4
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

IMO, it doesn't look bad at all... Needs change over time, and you shouldn't be expected to keep something around forever.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.