costco amex DENIED!

tag
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Re: costco amex DENIED!

@chnceit wrote:

@sccredit wrote:

@chnceit wrote:

People who hate AMEX is the people who just cant acquire them period. 

This is an ignorant statement.  There are many people who have had/have an AMEX card and dislike them.  I have acquired (and fired) them multiple times.  I still get offers from them weekly.  I would definitely not call their cusotmer service top notch, either for business or personal.  I have had better CS from Discover and Chase, hell even Citi was better.

Everyone has a YMMV with AMEX but to flat out claim that everyone who hates them can't get them is just irresponsible. 

You must be joking right CITI? Really! Smiley LOL

And I do agree that all lenders are YMMV

There was no joke there, in my experience Citi's customer service has been FAR superior to AMEX. 

Message 41 of 66
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@sccredit wrote:

@chnceit wrote:

@sccredit wrote:

@chnceit wrote:

People who hate AMEX is the people who just cant acquire them period. 

This is an ignorant statement.  There are many people who have had/have an AMEX card and dislike them.  I have acquired (and fired) them multiple times.  I still get offers from them weekly.  I would definitely not call their cusotmer service top notch, either for business or personal.  I have had better CS from Discover and Chase, hell even Citi was better.

Everyone has a YMMV with AMEX but to flat out claim that everyone who hates them can't get them is just irresponsible. 

You must be joking right CITI? Really! Smiley LOL

And I do agree that all lenders are YMMV

There was no joke there, in my experience Citi's customer service has been FAR superior to AMEX. 

Thats awesome! In my experience AMEX has been better so it all boils down to experience and personal view

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 42 of 66
icetrap06
Regular Contributor

Brick like lamp Smiley Happy ...sorry couldnt help myself.  

As previous have stated I think it is a YMMV situation, and I think it's what the user emphasizes as important when it comes to Customer Service (e.g. tone of reps, CS perks such as concierge, etc...).  I haven't really had any CS issues with any of the stated providers at this point (doesn't mean a bad experience won't change this opinion in the future).

NFCU cashRewards (22k) | Discover IT (8k) | AMEX EveryDay (5k) | AMEX Delta Gold (5k) | CSP (5k) | Marriott Rewards Premier (5k) | Citi Hilton Reserve(5k) | AMEX SPG (2k)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scores: EQ - 670 | TU- 742 | EX - 691
Message 43 of 66
nickn86
Contributor

Amex seems to have different CSRs for each card, so I think that's why there's such a wide variation in people's dealings with their customer service.  Their higher-end cards are all U.S.-based while their mid-range and entry-level cards seem to be outsourced.  I've never focused so much on customer service for picking a card because I almost never have to call any cc companies.  But I could see it being important in the event of fraud, etc...

I have heard that Amex is very annoying when it comes to their business cards and financial review.  If I ever get a biz card I would just go for the Ink because the rewards are better and there isn't the same intrusiveness of FR.

Chase Sapphire Preferred - 5.6k (3/13) | Amex Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL (1/13) | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Visa Signature - 9k (1/13) | Amex Delta Gold - 6k (9/12) | Citi Forward Visa - 10k (10/12) | Discover It - 2k (2/12) | Chase +1 Visa - $300 (2/11)
Message 44 of 66
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@chnceit wrote:

I dont know about Barclays they are notorious for AA even applying for new credit they will close your account. 

FIA is owned by Bank of America so their practices and CSR are very similar. 

Everyone has their own personal view and I also see your point. Like most members state move on to bigger and better things if you dont like a company

I have not heard on squaking from Barclays. Two analysts mentioned new accounts but the accounts remains open, even with it's low limit Smiley Sad.

While FIA is owned by Bank of America, the customer service people are like day and night. I am not sure why, but FIA is so nice and friendly, and Bank of America is so not.

I have moved on from American Express. As I said I only use the card to get 5% and that is it. I will never seek a limit increase on either card and see no reason to use their cards for anything else.

Message 45 of 66
astritaho1979
Frequent Contributor

Why is this news.Everyone knows that amex is a joke.I wouldnd even compare with citi.At least they gave me a chance with a high credit limit even though i had a bk in 07 with them

Thats why amex will never be peoples company IMO

COMMERCE BANK PLATINIUM VISA 20K*PAYPAL MC $9.5K*CITI FORWARD $8.5K*PENFED $6,5K*
*LOWES $6K *CMN BANK $5.2K-*PNC $5K*SCLUB DISC. $5K*
WMART DISC.4K*CMN BANK 3.75K*BANK OF AMERICA $3K* MACYS $2.2K*
JCP $1.8*TARGET $0.7K* UTL1%- AAOA 5.5- TOTAL 12 yrs History/
Transunion 718 Equifax 733- Experian 736
Message 46 of 66
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

@astritaho1979 wrote:

Why is this news.Everyone knows that amex is a joke.I wouldnd even compare with citi.At least they gave me a chance with a high credit limit even though i had a bk in 07 with them

Calling Amex a joke because they won't approve you is hardly fair. I'd venture that they wouldn't approve 99.9% of people with bks. This doesn't make them a joke, it makes them a conservative lender. Chase and many other lenders have similar policies based on what I've read on this site.

Also, defaming specific lenders on these forums is generally frowned upon by the moderators, and historically is a sure fire way to get threads locked

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 47 of 66
astritaho1979
Frequent Contributor

This is my opinion not yours.I will comment here base on my opinion and i would appreciate if you keep the rest to your self.Thank you

COMMERCE BANK PLATINIUM VISA 20K*PAYPAL MC $9.5K*CITI FORWARD $8.5K*PENFED $6,5K*
*LOWES $6K *CMN BANK $5.2K-*PNC $5K*SCLUB DISC. $5K*
WMART DISC.4K*CMN BANK 3.75K*BANK OF AMERICA $3K* MACYS $2.2K*
JCP $1.8*TARGET $0.7K* UTL1%- AAOA 5.5- TOTAL 12 yrs History/
Transunion 718 Equifax 733- Experian 736
Message 48 of 66
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

If you did a little looking, you could find that Amex generally doesn't issue cards to people who have bankruptcy within the past 8 years.  No need to hate a company because they see you as a bit risky.

@astritaho1979 wrote:

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 49 of 66
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Kind reminder to everyone to be friendly, supportive, and respectful. Smiley Happy

Message 50 of 66
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.