Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit card with high limit any advise

tag
blackfines1
Contributor

credit card with high limit any advise

hi , i'm 22 , start building my credit 3y ago , as of 10/12/18 transunion discover fico 755 ,  10/19/18 transunion 760 bank of america,           citibank - equifax 760 and   730 experian. The age of my oldest account and/or the average age of my accounts is relatively low with 22 inquiries in the last 24 months. what credit card with high limit can i get ? any advise? thanks

7 REPLIES 7
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: credit card with high limit any advise

Need more info. What cards do you currently have? How many inquiries do you have on each bureau? Income range? Score is just one part of approval. It takes time to build up limits with some lenders. Amex and Discover sometimes suprise thin files with big limits but it really is YMMV. What kind of cards are you interested in? What lenders interest you?
Message 2 of 8
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Welcome to MyFICO

First, a question. How many CCs do you already have since you have garnered 22 inqs. Is it the 3–Disco, Citi, BOA, which is quite impressive in and of itself. Any declines? What’s the CLs? What’s your UT like?

Second, I’ll lend some sound advice so your credit profile journey going forward can be continuously successful and a productive adventure.

*Treat your credit profile as a marathon, not a sprint. You’re young. It takes careful, strategic planning and years to get cards with high SLs.

*IMHO, with 22 inqs, I think you should sprint over to the garden for 2 years, not apply for anything else, and let those inqs fall off of your report. This will also increase the AAOAs of your CCs. And, while you’re there, start reading all you can on these boards. When I started on MyFICO, I had 1 high balance card and no inqs. However, I must have taken 4-5 days just reading this forum before I took the leap. Actually, I became addicted to reading stuff on this forum. Learning is power!

*And finally, IMHO, just slow your roll. You’re only 22. Remember the hare and tortoise. The tortoise won the race by going slowly and steadily.

GL2U

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 3 of 8
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Check prequal for Cap One Venture.

Venture SL is 5k - 30k.

Venture not VentureOne.

If no prequal wait 13 months before any new applications.

Check Venture prequal monthly in mean time.

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm at the same age as you are..... 22 inqs is a lot and may/will raise a red flag on some lenders.  Besides, you've got longer credit history than mine.  I wouldn't get a new one if I were you.  Like @CreditInspired said, go to the garden and let those inqs fall off.

Message 5 of 8
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@blackfines1, get an AMEX revolver as soon as your profile is ready to apply for a card. By ready, I mean having your utilization in check and probably waiting for inquiries to age. When the time is right, AMEX is likely to start you off with a nice limit. If it doesn't, you can increase it soon enough.

If you could break down your inquiries by bureau and also toss in the date of the most recent inquiry on each bureau, we'd be able to advise you on where you stand. Along with that, could you list your cards, their ages, their limits, and their current balances? Also, are there any other accounts (such as loans) on your report?

In the meantime, concentrate on CLI requests on Bank of America and Discover. I believe you can request every 90 days with BoA. There's no rhyme or reason with Discover. I'd request 30 days after a denial and 60 days after an approval.

Message 6 of 8
blackfines1
Contributor

on my credit file - BOfa $3900, CitiBank $1100 discover $3800 Dfs $3000 amex $1000 macys $3000 disco personal loan $4000 - inq (22 exp) (8 transnunion) (4 equifax) from limit increase declined - 8 inq will fall next month

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP - Welcome to the forums. 

Learning the world of credit and managing it is great - but it is not something you master in 3 years. You are on the right track. 

You want higher credit limits - but I suspect you do not need higher limits - you only want them. And that is fine - but it takes ALOT of discipline not to get yourself in trouble, I know I did when I was your age. It is too tempting and young adults (god bless you) are not known for their impulse control. 

I would say the main thing hold you back from better credits and higher limits are two main things that can be remied easily. 22 INQ is ALOT for your credit file and your age of accounts. 

So the best thing you can do for yourself is to stop and enjoy your progress. Do not apply for any new accounts. Wait 6 months and ask for CLIs on your existing accounts. Wait 6 months more and do that again. BofA/Citibank/Discover and Amex are all capable of giving people 100k credit limits once they earn it. You just need time and show patience. You will get there. And take it from someone who was like you at your age and get myself in over my head - as long as you can pay in full everymonth - you are good - but the first time you cant pay in full - you are starting down a road that is all downhill ......

Best of Luck ! 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.