Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit cards and mortgage

tag
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Re: credit cards and mortgage

The min payment is listed under every credit card account UNLESS it is NPSL. They just rolled out a new requirement for NPSL accounts. If the NPSL card has a balance, it must be paid before you can get cleared to close.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 11 of 17
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Here is the website: http://www.bankrate.com/finance/mortgages/charge-card-affects-mortgage.aspx

I misspoke. It doesn't have to be paid to close but you must show you have the funds to pay it before you can get cleared to close. These funds, that are required, are on top of the downpayment, closing costs, and required reserves. If you don't have the funds to pay the NPSL card, closing will be delayed until you do.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 12 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

MovingForward is correct. Min mo pyt is used to calculate debt to income.
Message 13 of 17
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@MovingForward_2012 wrote:
Here is the website: http://www.bankrate.com/finance/mortgages/charge-card-affects-mortgage.aspx

I misspoke. It doesn't have to be paid to close but you must show you have the funds to pay it before you can get cleared to close. These funds, that are required, are on top of the downpayment, closing costs, and required reserves. If you don't have the funds to pay the NPSL card, closing will be delayed until you do.

Thanks, I was trying to see the pattern on my EX report as to which cards had a min pay and which didn't.   When I looked more closely, all but 2 did (including all the flexible payment signature ones).  The exceptions were

1) Amex BCP

2) ONE of my identical PenFed cards, the other one did!  No idea why this is the case.

But thanks for the answer, so with a large number of credit cards, even at 0 balance, your DTI can be hit with hundreds of dollars of imputed minimum payments.  So, one danger of too many credit cards!

Message 14 of 17
pineappledaydreams
Frequent Contributor

Yup. Gona close a few. Smiley Happy thanks for all the info
On my phone apologies for the errors.

Starting Score: 501 EX FAKO
Current Score: 745TU Fico
Current Score:714EQ Fico
Current Score: 742 fico

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 17
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

You're welcome all. All your statements are correct in response to my post.

Sometimes, if the CC has a zero balance, it won't be counted in your DTI. I read a couple of stories about this on the mortgage forum. But it is highly lender dependent.
Message 16 of 17
Adalen
Frequent Contributor

I would not close out cards just to app for a mortgage.  At least talk to a loan officer first.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.