Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit one american express

tag
excop01
Regular Contributor

credit one american express

So i was wondering,  if i got a credit one american express, will that basically get my shoe into american express family?? Wanted to ask you all before i accept this offer from them. Thanks. 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

Re: credit one american express

It won't establish any relationship with Amex as an issuer.  Credit One is just paying them to run that card on their network.

Message 2 of 13
excop01
Regular Contributor

thanks a lot really appreciate that. 

Message 3 of 13
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

np Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Slabenstein wrote:

It won't establish any relationship with Amex as an issuer.  Credit One is just paying them to run that card on their network.

Agreed!  Plus, you can likely do a lot better than them anyway.  But up to you.  Check it out for yourself then make an informed decision:   https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Credit-One-Amex-worth-it/td-p/5778131 | https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Whats-the-deal-with-credit-one-bank/td-p/5782410https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/How-bad-is-the-Credit-One-Bank-card/td-p/5225285, et al

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are wanting a real Amex, its probably best to get your profile to a point where you have a reasonable chance to get one, if you are not there now. Credit One is like a "knock off" Amex. The logo is on the card, but...

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Stay away from Credit One.  IMO their Amex offering is just one of their many ploys to try and reel in potential customers by letting them think they're getting something better than they are.  It all starts with their name and logo and goes from there.

Message 7 of 13
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Keep checking the Amex preapproval tool every month.  Good luck

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Keep checking AMEX's preapproval. I got a Cash Magnet card when my FICO 8 Experian score was 676 and I was (and am) poor (low income) and had high utilization when I got accepted. And I had a 90-day late that was a little over a year old. I had a lot going against me, but they still let me in. (And now that my utilization is down—but I'm still poor!—they just gave me another card!)

This thread gives all my breathless details and explains my astonishment and delight in getting accepted. AMEX is not as picky and 'ooh la la' as some think they are. (I mean, they accepted me! LOL!)

Note: I got preapprovals for AMEX's Delta Gold and the other co-branded 'travel' cards (like Hilton Honors, etc) but none of the other AMEX cards. I was willing to get a Delta Gold, but when I apped, I was declined. A few months later I was getting preapprovals for all their cards, and this is when I got accepted. If you only get accepted for the 'travel' cards, tread cautiously or only apply if you're ready to accept a real chance of rejection.

Message 9 of 13
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Is there any particular Amex card or card feature you want to eventually get?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.