Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit or charge card???

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: credit or charge card???

When it comes to retail cards, it can be tough to get high-ish CL's. So generally, the better CL's come with big box stores like Best Buy and Lowe's and Home Depot. The more expensive the toys, the more likely to get a generous CL.

We don't have a Macy's in our town Smiley Sad, so I went with HD. Not much difference in access --Lowe's is 4 minutes away, and HD is 5. In the case of my local stores, the customer service in HD is far superior to that in Lowe's, probably because Lowe's is easier access, and they don't have to work as hard. Our HD people pounce on you the moment you cross the threshold.

But I mainly picked HD because after researching here on the forums, it appeared that their initial CL's were more generous than with Lowe's (HD gave me $4K), and I had heard stories from contractors working on our house about their difficulties with their Lowe's cards --getting payments credited in a timely manner, CS issues, and so forth. And my Sears MC is issued by Citi, and as crazy as the card makes me, I have had great CC CS from Citi.

But it seems like GEMB might be getting better with some of their cards, so the race might be getting more even.

And back when Tony Stewart drove for HD, I preferred him to Jimmie Johnson. Now that Tony has left to form his own team, Joey Logano is HD, and he's nice, but young, so maybe Jimmie is now the man.

How's that for a ridiculous reason to pick one card over another? Smiley Very Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 11 of 24
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Speaking particularly of Macy's: Not too hard to get, doesn't require too much use to retain and the CL will grow with you if you tend it. I think HD is much the same. Many store or gas cards are going to open at $300 and sit there like a rock forever. I don't need that. It does nothing for me.

BTW - You can order just about anything Macy's has, including the sale items, through the internet. I have never done it because I am walking distance from a Macy's store, but I do use the website for reference.

Message 12 of 24
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
When it comes to retail cards, it can be tough to get high-ish CL's. So generally, the better CL's come with big box stores like Best Buy and Lowe's and Home Depot. The more expensive the toys, the more likely to get a generous CL.

We don't have a Macy's in our town Smiley Sad, so I went with HD. Not much difference in access --Lowe's is 4 minutes away, and HD is 5. In the case of my local stores, the customer service in HD is far superior to that in Lowe's, probably because Lowe's is easier access, and they don't have to work as hard. Our HD people pounce on you the moment you cross the threshold.

But I mainly picked HD because after researching here on the forums, it appeared that their initial CL's were more generous than with Lowe's (HD gave me $4K), and I had heard stories from contractors working on our house about their difficulties with their Lowe's cards --getting payments credited in a timely manner, CS issues, and so forth. And my Sears MC is issued by Citi, and as crazy as the card makes me, I have had great CC CS from Citi.

But it seems like GEMB might be getting better with some of their cards, so the race might be getting more even.

And back when Tony Stewart drove for HD, I preferred him to Jimmie Johnson. Now that Tony has left to form his own team, Joey Logano is HD, and he's nice, but young, so maybe Jimmie is now the man.

How's that for a ridiculous reason to pick one card over another? Smiley Very Happy

Would you prefer I laugh myself silly in the open forum or in private?

ROTFLMAO!!!

Message 13 of 24
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Hey, whatever! Smiley Very Happy I'm married to a Jersey boy who moved south and went Native, and I am now inflicted with Speed Channel and its spin-offs 24/7.

I used to follow NASCAR until all my guys kept dying or getting close to it (Alan Kulwicki, Davey Allison, Adam Petty, Ernie Irvan.) I decided at that point that I was a jinx and let it go.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 14 of 24
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

Would you prefer I laugh myself silly in the open forum or in private?

ROTFLMAO!!!

I wouldn't know anything about that theory....It's not like I bought Castrol oil when I liked John Force, but then I started rooting for the Pedregon boys & bought my Quaker State synth. oil at the Advance Auto Parts.  I wouldn't know anything about that!

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 15 of 24
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

BungalowMo wrote:

I wouldn't know anything about that theory....It's not like I bought Castrol oil when I liked John Force, but then I started rooting for the Pedregon boys & bought my Quaker State synth. oil at the Advance Auto Parts.  I wouldn't know anything about that!

Oooo! That's hard-core! Smiley Surprised My respects. Smiley Wink

eta: back when I had a 1971 BMW 2002 (the world's most high-maintenance cheap pocket rocket) I used Castrol. Partly because I was told to, but mainly because I liked the smell. Smiley Wink
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 07-17-2009 06:37 PM
Message 16 of 24
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

@BungalowMo wrote:

Oooo! That's hard-core! Smiley Surprised My respects. Smiley Wink

I'm not into the races like I used to be, but it's still a blast to go & see up close.  Nothing else like it.

***aaahhhh.....I love the smell of nitro in the morning!  hehe

Message 17 of 24
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I think I like road racing best. I think it's mostly gone now, but we used to go to Road Atlanta, complete with picnic basket, blankets, and baby. Find a good spot on a hill, read a book, and wait for the distant rumble. An amazing crack of a thunderclap of air when the field came over the hill, engines scream-scream-scream-scream as they go by, and then silence. Calm down the baby, back to the book, and wait for the field to come by again.

Lime Rock (Connecticut) was similar, but we were in the grandstands, so it wasn't as much fun.
Message 18 of 24
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

I used to like Lou Albano, but I never rode in one of his taxis.

(The family owned a taxi company in Mt. Vernon, NY.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lou_Albano

Message 19 of 24
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Afew years ago a guy my brother knows (both competetive track cyclists) was here with his wife from Italy to race, so we took them to the Drag Races.  They knew "some" english...but I was trying to somewhat explain the races.  The best I could come up with was....."Formula 1 = Fine Champagne,,,,Drag Races = Cold Beer"  She laughed... especially when she saw the crowd.  Somewhat redneck-ish.

He was the european champ (clout)...they weren't laughing when we got them on the starting line during the top fuel runs.  They didn't want to leave!

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.