Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit unions

tag
wanttobeinthe700club
New Contributor

credit unions

ok I was wanting to get everyones opinion about going with a credit union for credit cards. I am currently with wells fargo and been with them for 2 years. they are really stingy and I can only get a $300 secured card. Ive been reading on many posts on here that credit unions are less stingy and give people that want to rebuild there credit a second chance. my bank will give me a card but after a year I just have this feeling they will make it unsecured but still give me a $300 limit and not raise or not by that much. Im serious about rebuilding my credit because I really screwed up when I was 18 and now im 26. I have 2 first premier cards and wish I could trust my bank that they will back me up when I get to that year mark. my bank is just a little to picky. I just hear about all this credit union things and need some goods and bads if any.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
FocusOnFICO
Regular Contributor

Re: credit unions

I would recommend reviewing the threads on CUs here to get the details of what credit score, etc. would be optimal for apping and getting accepted.

If you can move foward, I would recommend four good options:

• School credit union:  I've been with CSUN's credit union (Matadors) for years and they have been fantastic.
  • Local credit union:  there is a local cu in the building where I work and they have also been great
  • Alliant: it gets a lot of press and so far for me--with good reason
  • PenFed:  also gets a lot of press and their rewards card (gas) offers nice advantages

Good luck on your journey!

Starting Score: TU 766 EQ 788
Current Score: TU 788 EQ 811
Goal Score: TU 800 EQ 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 7
wanttobeinthe700club
New Contributor

thank you so muchSmiley Happy theres a couple of local credit unions here so Im gonna go today and see what they offerSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

CCCU gave me a card with history of BK.
Message 4 of 7
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
CCCU gave me a card with history of BK.

I also got a secured cc with CCCU last March with the tail end of a bk.  It is due to drop this July.  Also, I just got an installment acct from them and they did not do another hard pull.  They said that the inq from March was good enough for them.  They are great to work with and they are close to home. 
FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 5 of 7
FocusOnFICO
Regular Contributor

A strategy that is helpful is to talk to the lo once or twice and explain your situation, if needed.  Others have done that to good success.

Starting Score: TU 766 EQ 788
Current Score: TU 788 EQ 811
Goal Score: TU 800 EQ 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 7
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

I also advocate, ( if it is possible ), on going in and talking to the people at the credit union in person, as opposed to just calling them on the phone.  I think it gets you off to a better start business wise.
FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.