Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

debunking the "great starting limit" myth

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

debunking the "great starting limit" myth

It amazes me, I still see people asking at least once a week "what credit cards have great starting limits?" If you have to ask that question, then you haven't bothered to read the terms and conditons of any and all CC offers. No card offers a flat rate CL, let em in all in policy, that defies all underwriting rulles. To the word, the terms say, reagardless of card/brand "your Credit line and APR will be determined based on YOUR creditwortheness".. You could argue that a Visa Sig card (min $5K) or elite card like Chase Saphire Reserve (min 10K) have nice starting limits but you still have to meet certian critera to qualify and in the case of CSR I'm sure it's a nice 720+ bar to clear. 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Re: debunking the "great starting limit" myth

@Anonymous wrote:

It amazes me, I still see people asking at least once a week "what credit cards have great starting limits?" If you have to ask that question, then you haven't bothered to read the terms and conditons of any and all CC offers. No card offers a flat rate CL, let em in all in policy, that defies all underwriting rulles. To the word, the terms say, reagardless of card/brand "your Credit line and APR will be determined based on YOUR creditwortheness".. You could argue that a Visa Sig card (min $5K) or elite card like Chase Saphire Reserve (min 10K) have nice starting limits but you still have to meet certian critera to qualify and in the case of CSR I'm sure it's a nice 720+ bar to clear. 

A card that doesn't seem to have too strict of score requirements is the United Club, which has a nice starting limit of 15k.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 2 of 16
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

While I agree that a SL will always depend on one's overall profile and resources (mostly income), it's also well-known that some lenders are more 'generous' than others, at least to those with an average profile. 

For example, most of us who have both NFCU and Citi have reported that we started out with a higher credit line with NFCU than Citi.  It's also well-known that Synchrony cards are easy to grow, even with less-than-perfect credit scores.

I suspect whenever you see the question you're referring to most folks around here understand it's not 'one size fits all' but are just inquiring about what lender is giving out larger starting lines generally speaking.  For most of us there's no 'myth' to debunk.  Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 16
yfan
Valued Contributor

Sure it's based on YOUR credit worthiness, but it's your creditworthiness as judged by a lender. Some lenders tend to give you a higher limit for the same profile than others.
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

To echo what others have said already, there is no 'great starting limit myth'. Some lenders are known to be more generous than others -- for example compare NFCU to AMEX. NFCU routinely gives solid starting limits to those with marginal scores while American Express is known to give awful limits like $500 or $1000 to even those with decent scores.

Message 5 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

To echo what others have said already, there is no 'great starting limit myth'. Some lenders are known to be more generous than others -- for example compare NFCU to AMEX. NFCU routinely gives solid starting limits to those with marginal scores while American Express is known to give awful limits like $500 or $1000 to even those with decent scores.

+1

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 6 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

While I agree that a SL will always depend on one's overall profile and resources (mostly income), it's also well-known that some lenders are more 'generous' than others, at least to those with an average profile. 

For example, most of us who have both NFCU and Citi have reported that we started out with a higher credit line with NFCU than Citi.  It's also well-known that Synchrony cards are easy to grow, even with less-than-perfect credit scores.

I suspect whenever you see the question you're referring to most folks around here understand it's not 'one size fits all' but are just inquiring about what lender is giving out larger starting lines generally speaking.  For most of us there's no 'myth' to debunk.  Smiley Wink

+1

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 7 of 16
crrredit
Established Contributor

There's plenty of anecdotal evidence on these boards to support the idea that some cards offer better credit limits than others, based on similar circumstances. In fact, that's one of the benefits of these boards, to notice such trends, even though no lender would ever want to discuss the subject. What's more, each lender has different policies regarding CLIs that bubble up on these boards.

Thanks to this crowdsourcing of data, I've also learned credit building skills that tend to work, understanding that no specific results are guaranteed. Some things that have worked for a number of people have worked for me  and some haven't. Overall, I think these boards have helped me make more efficient and effective use of my time.  

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What UncleB said.

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Flavor of the month FOTM explains so much. Ususlly its because of better than average limit, other times its approvals when individuals have been striking out, which is good news for them of course.

The duck card which was a credit union.  the military Credit Unions offer good limits it is confirmed.  The Marvel card is synchrony the eBates,  synchrony,  the BP card from early 2015 is synchrony as well.  Trends are trends.  Most blispays were good SL. 

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.