Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dental health cards need $25,000 of work

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: dental health cards need $25,000 of work

@seattletravels wrote:

Also, check Washington University - I'm sure they have a dental school.  You could also check SLU and others.

+1

Not sure what universities you have around there (and I'm honestly too lazy to look it up right now), but large universities should have some kind of 'school of dentistry'. Probably pretty easy to find with a Google search of "Name of University dentist".

Message 61 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey I live in St. Louis too Smiley Happy  Graduated from SLU a year ago.

SLU and WUSTL do not have dental schools fyi.

Message 62 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is that a list of dental schools? Are those just low income offices? I dont know the difference

Message 63 of 92
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

Is that a list of dental schools? Are those just low income offices? I dont know the difference

If you're asking about the link that I posted, it's for US dental schools.

If I read it correctly, the previous list of various clinics in the St. Louis area was noting those which provide reduced-fee dental services.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 64 of 92
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

@seattletravels wrote:

These are all listed as dental clinics for people with low income in St. Louis area.  Unsure if you can post stuff like this, so mods feel free to delete and I'll send in a PM.

ST. LOUIS AREA
Carondelet Dental Clinic
(Family Care Health Centers)
401 Holly Hills Ave
St. Louis MO 63111
314-353-5190

People’s Health Centers Dental Clinic
11642 W Florissant
St. Louis MO 63042
314-838-8220

People’s Dental Clinic
7200 Manchester Rd
Maplewood MO 63143
314-781-9162

People’s Dental Clinic
5701 Delmar Blvd
St. Louis MO 63112
314-367-7848

Myrtle Hilliard Davis
Comprehensive Health Center
5471 Dr. Martin Luther King
St. Louis MO 63112
314-367-5820

Myrtle Hilliard Davis
Comprehensive Health Center II
4411 N Newstead
St. Louis MO 63115
314-381-9990

North Central Community Health
(Residents of St. Louis County Only)
6150 Natural Bridge
St. Louis MO 63120
314-679-7800

John C. Murphy Dental
6065 Helen Ave
St. Louis MO 63134
314-522-6410

CHIPS
2431 N Grand
St. Louis MO 63106
314-652-9231

Courtney Dental
(Residents of St. Louis City Only)
1717 Biddle
St. Louis MO 63107
314-829-6126

South County Health Center
4580 S Lindbergh
St. Louis MO 63127
314-842-1300

Forest Park Dental (Closed Summer)
5600 Oakland Ave
St. Louis MO 63110
314-644-9331

St. Louis County Dept of Health
111 S Meramec Ave
Clayton MO 63105
314-522-6410 Ext. 6022

Grace Hill Neighborhood
Dental Clinic
2600 Hadley St
St. Louis MO 63106
314-241-2200

Grace Hill Neighborhood
Dental Clinic
4308 N Grand
St. Louis MO 63107
314-340-3222

Dental Care for Kids
4055 Lindell Blvd
St. Louis, MO 63108
314-535-7701

Starkloff Dental Clinic
(Residents of St. Louis City Only)
2220 Lemp
St. Louis MO 63127
314-842-1300

Wow...I'm floored by the extent you went to help the OP. Great to know that truly NICE people still exist!!!!!!!

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 65 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

So are the low income list just as heap as dental schools? Are, are they cheaper i'm confused now

Message 66 of 92
JaysonT
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So are the low income list just as heap as dental schools? Are, are they cheaper i'm confused now

Pockets47:

Take a look at:  http://www.gslds.org/ (Greater St. Louis Dental Society), on the right side near the middle look for Find a Clinic.  Based on what you have described you really need to be talking with another dentist who is not focused on production.  The numbers you are talking about are high and the step of veneers is not one to be taken lightly.  People often think veneers are a solution but remember that you will be committing yourself to a lifetime of work.  Veneers will not last forever and will need replacement, often starting within the first 5 - 7 years.

Please, whatever you decide to do, get a second opinion before saddling yourself with $25K of debt.

Message 67 of 92
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Having spent more than the 25k in my life on my mouth and needing more (although my teeth look great! LOL). I have to agree with the dental school option! A friend on the east coast went to one and saved well over half. He said it was rather clinical (of course, it's a teaching environment) but they were very watchful and checked everything as they worked. It takes longer too.

I was told last year I needed some work, medical more so than cosmetic, checked into the costs, considered the school option, none near me so I checked into places in Mexico, I'm seriously considering 1 Doc I found that practices in CA as well Mexico and I'm very impressed by what I've learned of him so far by my own research. Instead of paying over 13k, if I go down there like I'm considering, I might end up paying 4 or 5k.  It's not uncommon and I'll be sure of the idea before I go, it's looking like a valid option though so far.  He also takes CCs.  He can do the work in CA but at a higher cost than when he does it in his office in Mexico (just S of the CA boarder).

I would also steer you away from going into debt for veneers, they're great at first from what I've seen and read but they require maintenance and their application usually requires enough damage to the original tooth that  you can't have them removed and go back to "just your old tooth" again. "Lumineers" (sp?) I hear give similar results with less damage required for placement. You have a lot to research before you go ahead with some of this stuff.

I can't say I like a dentist that advises someone "go ahead and spend another 7k since you're spending 18k anyway", you want at least 3 or more opinions when it comes to this type of thing.   I've heard people get that advice, then go down to the guy in Mexico I'm considering only to find out they don't need all that and he gave them better results for even less than they expected to pay him. I just hope he doesn't retire before I decide LOL

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 68 of 92
seattletravels
Valued Contributor

@daisydvm wrote:

Wow...I'm floored by the extent you went to help the OP. Great to know that truly NICE people still exist!!!!!!!

Thanks! Althought I believe everyone has really tried to be helpful on this thread and make sure OP does some research and doesn't get themselves into too much debt!

As for the OP - the list I provided are all dental clinics that cater to low income individuals.  I agree with everyone else that you should research dental schools in your area - but I would also recommend contacting these places and see if they can assist.  Its possible that they would be willing to set up a payment plan for you.  Also, a lot of cities have public dentistry available and dentists volunteer their time there.  IMO you should check out all options because as has been stated many times, its very unlikely that anyone will give you an unsecured line of credit for anywhere close to the amount you are requesting.

Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 69 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im going to try and contact dental schools. I just got another credit card so gona use that to and try and build more credit. I guess only thing i can do is save up $ for now.

Message 70 of 92
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.