Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: discover blacklist

@whodatnation2 wrote:

Does anyone know if discover blacklists people who have old CO's

Is the Charge~off paid or unpaid ?   I think they won't blacklist if it is paid .....but it might also depend on how recent it is.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 10
CS800
Super Contributor

Like many situations its a YMMV.I know people who had paid charge off who got accepted with Discover (5 years after CO was paid)

Message 3 of 10
LilloEsquilo
Contributor

Yes they do blacklist. I'm on their blacklist. It was a CO and it was never paid.

FICOS 2/2012 EQ: 763 TU: 761 EX: 746 (1/2012 EX)
Cards: Associated Bank Visa 9000, Paypal Mastercard 3000, Amazon Store card 1100, Barclays Apple Financing 2500, Cap One Rewards Mastercard 3000
Message 4 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@whodatnation2 wrote:

While in college, I had a Discover and let it get CO'd. I still have the letter somewhere, but they sent a letter demanding the return of the card and told me I am no longer able to do business with them ever again. This was around 1997. Within 3 years, I paid it in full. Fast forward 12 years later from the CO. They sent pre-approvals and decided to go for it and got approved. They forgot I guess.

Message 5 of 10
LilloEsquilo
Contributor

@llecs wrote:

@whodatnation2 wrote:

While in college, I had a Discover and let it get CO'd. I still have the letter somewhere, but they sent a letter demanding the return of the card and told me I am no longer able to do business with them ever again. This was around 1997. Within 3 years, I paid it in full. Fast forward 12 years later from the CO. They sent pre-approvals and decided to go for it and got approved. They forgot I guess.

It must be because you paid it. In my case I had a CO from 1992. (Yeah been a long time). Around 2000, they sent me a pre-approval letter, which suprised me at the time so I went for it, and they responded back with a letter about the CO and saying I will NEVER be able to get another account from them again. (Ok so why did you send me the 'pre-approval' then?) Soon after that I never got their "pre-approval" letters and have never applied with them since. I can't tell you if they still "remember" and I don't feel willing to burn an inquiry to find out.

Cards: Associated Bank Visa 9000, Paypal Mastercard 3000, Amazon Store card 1100, Barclays Apple Financing 2500, Cap One Rewards Mastercard 3000
Message 6 of 10
dharalex
Established Contributor

I just searched whogavemecredit, and there are some approvals with CO, but they all looked paid.

Starting Score: TU:676;EQ:648 8/2011
Current Score: TU:738; EQ: 739 ;EX: 729 6/2012
Goal Score: 760

Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Message 7 of 10
LilloEsquilo
Contributor

@dharalex wrote:
I just searched whogavemecredit, and there are some approvals with CO, but they all looked paid.

I have heard they are like Amex in that they may let you back in, IF you pay in full first.

Message 8 of 10
Open123
Super Contributor

@LilloEsquilo wrote:
...saying I will NEVER be able to get another account from them again...

Never is such a long time...

Message 9 of 10
LilloEsquilo
Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@LilloEsquilo wrote:
...saying I will NEVER be able to get another account from them again...

Never is such a long time...

True. That's pretty much exactly what they said though if I recall the wording in the letter. It had a tone of "we are upset with you". Understandable of course.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.