Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

discover sent me an email said that my card "might have been compromised"

tag
Christina_xyt
Established Contributor

discover sent me an email said that my card "might have been compromised"

I received an email from discover yesterday afternoon says that they will send me a new card in 2-7 days.. with the same account number but different security code and expiration day.. i have been using it and other credit cards a lot on black friday deals (i had to purchase a lot stuff for other people).. i am not sure what triggered that or if theres anytihg i should be worried about. so far i don't see any transactions that were not made by me.. soooo.. 

and with this incident, do you guys think that i can still app for cards? i just dont know if there would be any alert on my report that will decrease my chance of approval. (i plan on apping freedom and upromise.. since i am afraid that upromise $100 first use bonus will exprie in a couple days (i received the email on 3rd of Nov)

In sequence of approval, Last app/inquiry 5/30/2015
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
HeilFico
Regular Contributor

Re: discover sent me an email said that my card "might have been compromised"

You may have shopped at a retail chain that was hit recently. Kmart, Target, Home Depot...etc They are probably just being proactive. You should have no issues apping.

Message 2 of 7
Christina_xyt
Established Contributor

@HeilFico wrote:

You may have shopped at a retail chain that was hit recently. Kmart, Target, Home Depot...etc They are probably just being proactive. You should have no issues apping.

yes i shopped at Target yesterday!

but i used two different cards.. and BOA didn't say that.. >.<

thanks for the reply!

In sequence of approval, Last app/inquiry 5/30/2015
Message 3 of 7
Kellan
Regular Contributor

If Discover detected fraud and it was lagit they would have blocked the transactions from posting on your account. Much of the fraud that happens is automatically caught by computer and handled. And this is most likely what happened in your case. Also it is importiant to know your card could have been leaked months ago but now is just being sold on the black market. I don't think you can really know for sure where your card was stolen. It most likely was not related to your black Friday shopping.

EQ: 678
TU: 699
EX: 736
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Christina_xyt wrote:

@HeilFico wrote:

yes i shopped at Target yesterday!

but i used two different cards.. and BOA didn't say that.. >.<

thanks for the reply!

The Target breach happened last year, so they would have already reissued your card if it was part of that breach. Probably part of a different breach.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Christina_xyt wrote:

I received an email from discover yesterday afternoon says that they will send me a new card in 2-7 days.. with the same account number but different security code and expiration day.. i have been using it and other credit cards a lot on black friday deals (i had to purchase a lot stuff for other people).. i am not sure what triggered that or if theres anytihg i should be worried about. so far i don't see any transactions that were not made by me.. soooo.. 

and with this incident, do you guys think that i can still app for cards? i just dont know if there would be any alert on my report that will decrease my chance of approval. (i plan on apping freedom and upromise.. since i am afraid that upromise $100 first use bonus will exprie in a couple days (i received the email on 3rd of Nov)

You are not alone, it happened to me two weeks ago and I already have my replament card. I used it at Home Depot.

Message 6 of 7
slicemans
Regular Contributor

Discover will be shipping out chip card mid of december. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.