Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disgusted with discover!!! help...

tag
dk2003
Regular Contributor

disgusted with discover!!! help...

I've had my card for a nearly a year (april). I've requested an increase twice (sl 500) because I've seen all of the luv that everybody else has raved about. Well that has not been the vm case for me! I received a BOA 99/500 around the same time and since then, that card has auto unsecured, I've received my deposit and there was an auto cli 2000. Discover, on the other hand, has been awful.
The relationship started out bad. When I received the card I tried to recon and after several back and forth emails I was told that if I replied any more on that matter that the email would go unanswered... YES, THEY ACTUALLY TOLD ME THAT!!!! and here we are a year later and still nothing... Should I write the EO? Help!!!!
Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48
manyquestions
Established Contributor

Re: disgusted with discover!!! help...

Lately Discover has been really generous with some credit profiles, yet still stingy with others.  How is your Equifax credit report looking now compared to when you got the card?  Have you been putting any spend on it? 

Message 2 of 49
redpat
Senior Contributor

First of all $500 barely got you in and they never give a cli at activation you need to wait at least 90 days or longer.  Second, what are your scores  and usage?

Discover has been great w/ cli, they like to see usage and PIF even with 0% offer.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 3 of 49
trant3
Established Contributor

Discover does not do CLI on activation, as noted. Why get upset with discover, perhaps you should be looking at WHY they are not issuing CLIs to you.

FNBO $15k, Aspiration Zero $11k, Affinity FCU $10k, Sofi $15k, Venmo Visa $2.7k, Apple $7k, Citi Custom Cash $14k, Citi Double Cash $15k, Citizens Bank Cash Plus $8k, Chase Amazon $3k, Chase Flex $13.6k, Chase IHG $16k, Amex BCP $9.5k, Amex Hilton $10k, Chase Freedom $26.5k, NFCU Plat $46k, NFCU Cash $33k, Discover IT $29k, Discover Miles $12k, BECU Visa $14k, Wells Fargo Active $6.3k, PenFed Promise $15k, PenFed Gold $20k
Message 4 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

well, the first issue is you're relying on other peoples' CLI success to dictate your own. that will lead nowhere but to disappointment. secondly, if you had that much of a credit issue where they barely approved you and you had to go with the $99/500 with BofA then that tells me you have plenty of blemishes on your report and shouldn't be expecting hand outs yet.

as i have stated before: this site spoils people sometimes

you need to just continue using and paying and let bygones be bygones

Message 5 of 49
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@dk2003 wrote:
I've had my card for a nearly a year (april). I've requested an increase twice (sl 500) because I've seen all of the luv that everybody else has raved about. Well that has not been the vm case for me! I received a BOA 99/500 around the same time and since then, that card has auto unsecured, I've received my deposit and there was an auto cli 2000. Discover, on the other hand, has been awful.
The relationship started out bad. When I received the card I tried to recon and after several back and forth emails I was told that if I replied any more on that matter that the email would go unanswered... YES, THEY ACTUALLY TOLD ME THAT!!!! and here we are a year later and still nothing... Should I write the EO? Help!!!!

I"ve noticed that the big CLI's only go to people with high FICO8 scores (740+) on TU.

So far they've been giving me $300 CLI's at irregular intervals.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 6 of 49
elim
Senior Contributor

I'll have to parrot the other posters....  "EQ score?  Usage  Payments?"   These are probably the major factors in a decision by Discover. Please supply your stats so the experienced Disco holders can give advice on getting your CLI.

Message 7 of 49
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Patience, patience, patience.... I had to wait 18 months for my first CLI with Discover.  Smiley Happy Just use your card, PIF and after each statement try for a CLI.....one day you will get there as well.  Remember credit is a marathon and not a race Smiley Happy  ... so just hang in there and use the card responsibly. Do not sock drawer the card out of frustration if you expect it to grow. I would also recommend to let the balance report at least every other month.  Not a constant 0 balance reporting.  Hit that luv button after each statement. Good luck!

Message 8 of 49
Loques
Regular Contributor

@dk2003 wrote:

I have to agree with the previous replies: you cannot get frazzled over not getting a CLI from Discover especially based off of other people's success. This site is great at giving you advice, guidance, and a good idea of how to get there but you can't expect it to happen for you as everyone's credit file is different. 

As someone said, since you had a credit file that garnered you a secured card, getting in with Discover is actually surprising. For me, I had to wait for a few years and keep applying. What I can tell you is that if you are patient, use the card responsibly, and take care of it, you will see CLIs. Also, when your credit improves you will probably see some action. For the meantime, take a load off and garden for some time - it will do you some good.

Current Score (11/2020): EQ: 753 | TU: 731 | EX: 749---Starting Score (3/2010): EQ: 522 | TU: 525 | EX: 520---Goal: All 3 FICO 800+
--------------------
Message 9 of 49
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@dk2003 wrote:

What do you mean by "nothing"?

Are you waiting for an automatic CLI? Have you tried pushing the CLI button online every time it becomes avalable? On the phone?

Discover started me with $750 limit. Back then my two other cards (UFCU and Citi) were $2k. (April 2013)

They don't always give out CLIs like candy. 

I had to take a HP in Nov 2013 to get my first CLI. It bumped up to $2k. 

My first auto CLI was in May, on getting my 12th statement. Since then I've had some luck with SP CLIs. Now the card is at $28k. It has since overtaken Citi ($7.5k) and UFCU (still $2k, after 1 failed CLI attempt with an HP in 2013). 

My only card that has a higher limit than that is my Cap One QS (started off around the same time with $500 as Plat, then credit steps to $2k, then PC, then two EO calls to bump it to $4k and then $6k, then EO upgrade to WMC, then SP CLIs to $10k. I merged my $19k Venture into that recently) which is at $29k but took me 6 HPs across the 3 CBs to get there. In contrast, Discover just needed 2 HPs - 1 at app, the other for the first CLI.

Have they asked you for an HP, and if yes, have you tried that route? 

Message 10 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.