Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does credit limit matter?

tag
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Re: does credit limit matter?

@happy0510 wrote:
So in Orchard's case if the payment due date is the 20th of every month and you make a min. payment, then PIF or to 9% or so on the 25th, and they report on the 31st, what balance are they reporting?

Usually, the way it works is (for instance) statement cuts on the 15th, your due date will show something like the 7th of the next month.  They report to the 3 CRA's at the statement cut date.  If this is the card that youwant to report a small balance, pay it off after the cut date.  If you want this card to post $0 balance this time, pay it off before the cut date.

Make sense??  Smiley Happy

Just a note....the cut date is usually somewhere around 20 days before due date. (give or take a couple days)

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
No, it's strictly the percentage (the util.)

There are plenty of people with very few cards, which are all low-limit, yet they have great scores.

High limits are handy if you ever do have to have a balance report, but if you only use the cards to keep them active, it's perfectly fine to have low limits.

It might be different if you are trying to get CLI's or new accounts, as there is some indication that existing low limits make it hard to get higher limits. But that's not the same thing as FICO scoring.

This is so important to realize for rebuilding! You only need to have a couple - three cards going, with whatever the CL might be, and take immaculate care of them.

+1 HTSU and beautifully put - as always

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit limit does matter when your credit card company has lowered your credit limit.  Because my ex-husband hasn't paid his bills and I am still on some of them jointly, Discover has lowered my credit limits on both of my individual cards to the point that I am almost maxed out on them.  So now my FICO has gone down because of my "high utilization" of my credit!  Even though I haven't charged a thing in about a year and have been paying about 5 times the minimum payment.  When I called them they told me I should be thankful they kept them open, because I have been such a good payer, because generally they would have closed them.  Boy, am I grateful!!
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Credit limit does matter when your credit card company has lowered your credit limit.  Discover has lowered my credit limits on both of my individual cards to the point that I am almost maxed out on them.  So now my FICO has gone down because of my "high utilization" of my credit!  When I called them they told me I should be thankful they kept them open, because I have been such a good payer, because generally they would have closed them.  Boy, am I grateful!!

That's when it really hurts.

Remember it's not the CL (even when it's CLD'd) that hurts - it's purely utilization that's hurting you.  That utilization is a huge factor in FICO scores - so you can really feel the sting.

The CL in and of itself, however, does not affect your FICO scores.  If you had a zero balance and your CL's were decreased, you would not see the point drop. 

Sorry about your CLD's and glad you still have your accounts.  Good luck in rebuilding - everything Smiley Wink!

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi!

My credit score wasn't great before (TU-639, Eq-644, Ex-642 as of 01/19/09), and I'm sure is much lower due to putting outrageous balances 6 of my credit cards (I also have a 7th with a $20 balance that will be paid off next month.)  I want to pay them off over the next year, and am wondering how I should go about it.  Should I make minimums on each card and put all the left over money to one at a time to pay one off completely, or should I split the money between them all to slowly pay each card down over the next year?

On another note, I have a collection on my report for an account that should not have been past-due in the first place.  How do I get it removed?  Do I call the company who reported me, call the collection agency or try contacting the credit bureau?

-mielejam

Message Edited by mielejam on 08-25-2009 10:37 AM
Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Although I'm not an expert, my advice would be to pay the minimum on all of them, then whatever you can spare put on the card that has the highest interest. 
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.