cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does discover have any good current offers?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

does discover have any good current offers?

I accepted the 0% APR on my discover card for 12 months awhile back, but haven't used this card much at all. Has discover come out with any good promos again recently? 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: does discover have any good current offers?

I think I read on DoC (or reddit, can't remember) some were getting 3% on purchases up to $1,500 for the next few months. Obviously that is nothing earth shattering (an extra 1% on $1500 above a standard 2% card is only $15 more), but it's something.

Discover could stand to innovate a product as it's been several years since they have really changed anything in their (small) lineup, but apparently they're content with it.

Message 2 of 9
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Probably not what you mean, but here is the calendar for the rotating 5% categories.

https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/cashback-bonus/cashback-calendar.html

Right now, restaurants and Paypal.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 3 of 9
wasCB14
Super Contributor

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Discover-renewed-0-on-purchases/td-p/5704458

(Mod may wish to merge.)

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 9
Andypanda
Established Contributor

If you don’t have the card yet you can get a $75 credit after first purchase on amazon, if you sign up through amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Discover-test_model-it%C2%AE-Cash-Back/dp/B00AW3IXZO/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3OXKUQ0I...

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can get a $100 sign up bonus using a referral link for the It Miles. Just have to make one purchase and both you and the person who referred you get $100. 

I thought about it but I only prequal at 23.24% so I’m not hopeful I would get more than $500. 

The Amazon $75 offer also works for the It Miles card. 

https://www.amazon.com/Discover-test_model-it®-Miles/dp/B00UCFEZOU

Message 6 of 9
SEBanker
Valued Member

Since apple has ambitions to become a card payments network like Vs/MC (hence Apple Card) I could see them acquiring discover for its independent global payments infrastructure. Even Apple Cash is done via Discover network.
Message 7 of 9
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

@SEBanker wrote:
Since apple has ambitions to become a card payments network like Vs/MC (hence Apple Card) I could see them acquiring discover for its independent global payments infrastructure. Even Apple Cash is done via Discover network.

You probably know more than me about it. However, I am never hesitant to poot a foot in my mouth. My understanding is, Goldman has transitioning to an insured deposit bank. Lower for longer, yada, yada, yada. Their trading desks are suffering, return on capital is bad, yada, yada, yada. This is their way to dip a toe into high rate revolvers. All the while stating it is a data play, they just want into the double digit revolver game. Apple sees an opportunity through ApplePay to undercut the Visa/MX network discount fees.

While Goldman may be looking to acquire accounts, I don't think they want to buy a traditionally bond supported credit profile.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 8 of 9
SEBanker
Valued Member

You said it yourself..."undercut the visa/MC network fees."  What better way than to become their own payments network. They could buy Discover with cash, sell the card portfolio which is a bond driven credit profile, and retain the global payments network which is an ambition of theirs.  The Discover card portfolio would continue at a Wells Fargo or someplace. As far as GS, they got a taste of cheap money when they gained access to the fed window during the financial collapse and thought "what a great idea."  We can become a commercial bank, draw in cheap deposits and lend it out. It also has the benefit of masking the leverage and risk in our other businesses. They aren't betting the future of the company on consumer loans or credit cards. And if they did want to go in that direction I could easily see them picking up Capital One when Fairbanks decides to retire. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.