Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

effect of closing amex card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

effect of closing amex card?

If I were to close my amex gold card within the first month, what effect would it have on my relationship with amex?

I hear lot about blacklist and such.
would they prevent me from getting another amex card in the future?

p.s. Amex gold is the first and only card I have with amex. 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: effect of closing amex card?

What's the reason for closing it? Did you receive any type of SUB promotion with the Gold Card?
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

My fiance has the gold car and as we are going to share our finances soon, I don't see both of us paying $250 in annual fee for same card when I can go under him as authorized user. 

Message 3 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

It's unlikely you'll be in any sort of blacklist with AmEx, but if you have received any type of SUB award and immediately close your account then there's a possibility that you may restrict future SUB promotions per their T&Cs.

Here's one example of that:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Amex-really-just-annoyed-me-ugh/td-p/5407985
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was just planning on meeting the SUB requirement to have points later down the year, even years. 
Wasn't really planning on to use them right away or take advantage of getting the SUB and leaving. 

Will I be restricted from future SUB even if I dont use or redeem all the points before closing? 

Also, will I get my AF refunded if I close my account within a month? or even little over a month?

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recommend getting the SUB and waiting until a year to close it out (before the next AF).  When closing it out, just mention you and your partner have the same card and don't need 2 of them.  Closing it out right after getting the SUB is definitely going to leave amex a bad impression and possibly impact your relationship with them.  Closing it out before getting the SUB (and 20% back restaurants + 100 airline credit) at this point is leaving good money on the table.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was thinking about that too, but I feel like that doesn't really justify having to pay $250 AF for two of the same card "IF" I can get AF refunded due to short time with the amex gold card. Also, not using any of the point within that first year before closing. 

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey,

I agree with they said on the post above. If you close right now, right after getting, that will probably damage your relationship with Amex. I will look like you only wanted the card for the SUB so you “tricked the system” so you wouldn’t have to pay an AF but still get the SUB. I also don’t know how it works because, as far as I know, you would need to wait the statement to close to receive the SUB but then, once that happens, it would trigger the AF as well.

I would wait 1 year before closing it specially because the SUB is worth more than the AF so you can kinda say that for the first year, even though you paid $250, you are still coming out ahead (not even including all the credits). Also, if you were to close the card right now, that would prevent you from getting another SUB for the Gold card as Amex has a “once in a lifetime” rule.
Actually it doesn’t even matter if you got the SUB or no, but just the fact that you’ve had the gold in the past.

About Amex blacklist, yeah, I believe that there is a possibility. Amex is trying to stop people from turning cards because of the SUBs, maybe that’s why the AF is not waived for the first year anymore. They are looking for long-term commitment. If you cancel right now, it could prevent you from getting another SUB for awhile (all Amex cards).

I understand your situation and yes, it doesn’t make much sense to pay an AF if your fiancé already own that card - you can be an AU BUT, banks don’t see it that way. I’d keep the card for one year then downgrade it or cancel before paying the second AF.

Just one more thing, it doesn’t matter if you use the points or don’t use the points during the first year. I would say that if you were to transfer the points to another card, it would look even sketchier, haha! Sorry, I don’t mean to lecture you, just wanted to give some advice!
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I was thinking about that too, but I feel like that doesn't really justify having to pay $250 AF for two of the same card "IF" I can get AF refunded due to short time with the amex gold card. Also, not using any of the point within that first year before closing. 

Not sure I understand.  The SUB alone is worth at a minimum double the AF before even taking into account the airline credit and all the 20% dining benefit.  Up to you, but for me that's leaving way too much on the table.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

SUB is only worth it if you meet the requirement to spend $2000 in first 3 month isn't it? 
With that $2000, I could spend it under fiances gold authorized user to get points from there right?
I just dont want to get the SUB and not have anything to use it on before I close it to not pay for 2nd AF.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.