Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

every credit card payment I make is put on hold

tag
gijoe4500
Regular Contributor

every credit card payment I make is put on hold

Everytime I make a payment to my Paypal Extras Mastercard (GECRB), the payment gets put on hold.  I made a payment for ~$750 on 12/7.  It cleared my bank on 12/10.  Yet they tell me that my payment will be on hold for 9 more days.  Is there any way to avoid payments getting put on hold?  The CSR was no help in telling me how to avoid payments being put on hold.

Starting Score: MyFico TU: 621 EQ: 610
Current Score: Discover TU: 829 Discover EX: 827
Goal Score: 700's baby! (made it 4/10/2013!)
New Goal: 830!!
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: every credit card payment I make is put on hold

A payment made on the 12/7 would be credited the next business day which was 12/10.  So that one makes sense to me.

Putting the payment on hold for an additional nine days is puzzling unless you are a new customer or paying with a "check" or something similar.  I can see the bank wanting to make sure the payment clears before putting the amount back on your credit limit.  It won't last forever with the bank.

Message 2 of 15
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@gijoe4500 wrote:

Everytime I make a payment to my Paypal Extras Mastercard (GECRB), the payment gets put on hold.  I made a payment for ~$750 on 12/7.  It cleared my bank on 12/10.  Yet they tell me that my payment will be on hold for 9 more days.  Is there any way to avoid payments getting put on hold?  The CSR was no help in telling me how to avoid payments being put on hold.

Did you go into PayPal and over to your MC account access and make payment there or did you sign in to your bank account and do a bill pay to your PayPal MC?

You need to do Bill Pay from your bank... they will not put holds on those... seems silly to me, both are done electronically so they have the money in the same time but for what ever reason GE and Household/ not sure if Cap1 does too but it's annoying for sure!

Message 3 of 15
gijoe4500
Regular Contributor

Are you sure it won't last forever?  I've been using my Paypal Extras card as my primary card since I received the card in May.  And there hasn't been a single payment that wasn't put on hold.  Would pushing the payment through from USAA's billpay work better than paying through paypal.com?

Message 4 of 15
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

That's weird. I made a payment to my Discover card last night $930 bucks around 1:30pm and it posted that same night. My credit was available by 7pm that night. I did make the payment through the Discover site and it cleared my bank the next day.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 5 of 15
gijoe4500
Regular Contributor

i see my question was already answered.  I'll start using billpay to push through payments and see what happens.  AmEx, RBFCU, Citi, etc all give me no issues, no matter how many times I pay, or the size of my payment.  But for some reason, GECRB does this on all 3 of my cards with them.  And my Walmart card I have had for 5 years now.

Message 6 of 15
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@maiden_girl wrote:

That's weird. I made a payment to my Discover card last night $930 bucks around 1:30pm and it posted that same night. My credit was available by 7pm that night. I did make the payment through the Discover site and it cleared my bank the next day.

Not Weird... We are talking GE not Discover! LOL

Amex doesn't do it either!

GE needs you to send payments through your bank bill pay... it's not a sure thing that payments will be hold because you pay online but just do it with bank unless it's payment due date and you should be just fine and no holds any longer.

Message 7 of 15
gijoe4500
Regular Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

GE needs you to send payments through your bank bill pay... it's not a sure thing that payments will be hold because you pay online but just do it with bank unless it's payment due date and you should be just fine and no holds any longer.

That's the plan from now on, I suppose.  Its a pain in the butt to do it that way, but i guess, until I get my mortgage done in the summer, then pick up a new daily-use card... I'm going to have to deal with it.  I would tell them to get bent now,and switch over to my RBFCU card full-time, but the rewards on the Paypal Extras card are actually decent!  2.5% cash-back on gas... I really can't complain about that!

Message 8 of 15
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@maiden_girl wrote:

LOLZ I know. I was just sharing my experience.

I also have a Living Spaces and Ashley accounts and if I pay them on their site, it posts that same day. I do wonder if it matters who you have your GE account with. I've heard Walmart payments are slow. PP Connect...not sure.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 9 of 15
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@gijoe4500 wrote:

My first bill with PayPal MC was due on Dec 3, I wasn't sure the best way to handle the payment cause I wanted to pay all of my balance but $50 (payment of $250). When I called the CSR said that payments posted online - thru their website would be posted immediately AND the credit would be available.  I tried it and it worked for me.  I have only had the card since Oct and like I said it was my first statement.  As far as the other GE backed cards- I get the payment pending and the credit isn't available until it fully posts and I have tried using their website, bill pay and paying in person.  

Nordstrom- instant credit no hold. 

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.