Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

extremely dissapointed with navy federal. account locked

tag
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

extremely dissapointed with navy federal. account locked

So I stop to get fuel yesterday and it denied both my cc and checking card but it accepted a different card so this can't be good. Sure enough I log on to my account and they are locked. So I call in and was told the state put a levy on my accounts. Im behind about 4 months on child support. Things got tough with my job during the holidays and it basically came down to pay the rent or pay child support. I only have a few hundred in saving and checking so I asked them what does this have to do with my secured card? They told me being the secured amount is in my savings being held which I knew but they will report it as an amount I have and if the state requests it being my card has a zero balance they will close out my accounts pay the state and send me packing. Nor the state or navy federal send me a notice of intent to levy or anything and one of the worst cases is that if the irs applies my return to pay off my child support balance navy federal will charges me a hundred dollars just for having to lock my account and they will charge me everytime the state requests the lock. Any suggestions?
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
JustMe77
Frequent Contributor

Re: extremely dissapointed with navy federal. account locked

Not sure where you live but the rules and procedures for garnishing accounts/funds that apply to normal judgments can be very different for child support. Get caught up on child support and lower the ordered monthly payments it if you can. Sell stuff and do whatever you can to get caught up ASAP.

It's pretty typical for banks to charge fees when they have to deal with legal stuff because of you. 

Looks like you won't have a secured card for a while. If they are garnishing your security deposit accounts for secured cards, you should expect them to hit your other checking and savings too (if any).

You can load up your funds into a prepaid card that doesn't report to credit bureaus and use that I guess. 

Maybe apply for more credit and use that for some expenses for a while so you can build up cash savings. Orchard would probably approve you for at least a little.

Current Cards: Banana Republic Visa ($5,300), Chase Freedom ($2,000), Discover It ($11,500), Amex Costco True Earnings ($5,000), Chase Slate ($2,500)
Message 2 of 23
RyVision
Valued Contributor

The main thing I know about child support is it has to be paid. I don't think the state or a bank has to give any warning about going after funds that they find in an account. As far as CC payments goes, if you have balances, you'll want to pay at least the minimums while doing your best to pay on the support.  I know of people that have requested lower support payments, at least temporarily, when their income dropped due to no fault of their own. I got the impression the state will try to work with someone willing to come forward as willing to pay what they could (again, I don't know how often that works, you'd have to look into it). I'm somewhat sure that option would have been a lot easier had you addressed it the first month you realized you might have difficulty paying.  If you have an attorney for this issue you might want to contact him\her.

You don't have a real reason to be disappointed with NFCU however. They have no control over what happens when the state contacts them about money owed for support or other legal matters, they simply have to abide by the law as any financial institution. I am going to hope if they got your tax refund that it caught you up on support payments.

You might have to consider looking for an additional source of income if at all possible (I know that's not always possible, just a thought), like a part time job if you have the time and energy etc.  You'd also want to avoid putting much in the bank and paying your child support with money orders for now. If you have DD you might want to stop that while you see if the court will allow you to lower your payments for a while so you at least have some cash to live on. I am in NO WAY advising you to try and avoid the support payments, only to help you work with it on getting paid while being able to stay employed, housed and fed without damage to your credit (most people need it for decent employment as well as the future which involves your off spring).

25 years ago I had a brother who paid 990 a month in support for 3 kids, 1 of which was his, 2 from his wife's previous marriage he made the mistake of adopting (relieving the biological father of his obligation, very bad idea).  So I have an idea of both sides of this issue and neither are pretty.  I hope this info helps to some degree, I know you need decent credit and I know  your off spring need your support. I'm not condemning, I'm looking at both issues. I'm sure they're both important to  you.

On a side, I would also advise against possibly creating any more off spring, you have enough to deal with for now. 

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 3 of 23
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

My tax return would get me caught up on my payments plus my employment is better now where im able to make my monthly payments and then some. Im more or less disappointed with navy with the fact that they have my contact info and didn't inform me what was going to happen. I haven't charged anything to my card in a while and I had to find out there was a problem when I tried to charge fuel with navy. Second, the whole fee issue with the levy. If one overdraws the account or pays a credit card payment late its nowhere near a hundred dollars. Thanks for the help and advice
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

Message 4 of 23
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@rootpooty wrote:
My tax return would get me caught up on my payments plus my employment is better now where im able to make my monthly payments and then some. Im more or less disappointed with navy with the fact that they have my contact info and didn't inform me what was going to happen. I haven't charged anything to my card in a while and I had to find out there was a problem when I tried to charge fuel with navy. Second, the whole fee issue with the levy. If one overdraws the account or pays a credit card payment late its nowhere near a hundred dollars. Thanks for the help and advice

I have to say I'm thrilled and relieved about the above info. Smiley Happy  As far as Navy or any bank contacting anyone in that situation as some kind of "heads up" I think it's not allowed. Can you imagine how quickly people would yank that money out of an account if warned about it?

To see it from another perspective (maybe even Navy's), why would you leave any money in accounts that you could remove if you knew what could happen while the payments went months unpaid?  One of the last things a bank or CU wants is to be contacted by the state about an account holder, they have to check everything with that person that they handle. This will pass and you'll be fine with NFCU again fairly soon I'd say, in opinion and business relationship.  If you have a secured card with NFCU, you're working on buidling a relationship with them, they don't know you that well yet but when they do and things go smooth I'm sure you'll be glad they continued to do business with you (other places might  have call it quits after something like this so early in the game).

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 5 of 23
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@rootpooty wrote:
So I stop to get fuel yesterday and it denied both my cc and checking card but it accepted a different card so this can't be good. Sure enough I log on to my account and they are locked. So I call in and was told the state put a levy on my accounts. Im behind about 4 months on child support. Things got tough with my job during the holidays and it basically came down to pay the rent or pay child support. I only have a few hundred in saving and checking so I asked them what does this have to do with my secured card? They told me being the secured amount is in my savings being held which I knew but they will report it as an amount I have and if the state requests it being my card has a zero balance they will close out my accounts pay the state and send me packing. Nor the state or navy federal send me a notice of intent to levy or anything and one of the worst cases is that if the irs applies my return to pay off my child support balance navy federal will charges me a hundred dollars just for having to lock my account and they will charge me everytime the state requests the lock. Any suggestions?

It sucks, but unfortunately that's how most of the states work with child support. Only thing you can do is get caught up and get back on your feet. Hoping you get back on track soon!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 23
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@rootpooty wrote:

It sucks, but unfortunately that's how most of the states work with child support. Only thing you can do is get caught up and get back on your feet. Hoping you get back on track soon!

Not to disagree LS;  it doesn't completely suck.  Rootpooty seems to be doing what he can to keep up with that obligation and it seems he got it caught up fine. And I respect that HIGHLY.

Not all parents are that way, for some that state intervention is needed to make sure they take care of their kids. I do my best to scare the bejebers out of anyone thinking of reproducing before they're established. Off spring are the biggest most important "creditor" one can ever be "approved for", there is no being late, there is no BK and there is no going back. They make an AMEX Centurion look like doggie doo in comparison when it comes to level of obligation.

A young man and his wife in my family heard my blunt opinion about trying to have children while not being sure if they were going to be able to keep their home. I frankly told them they were by no stretch ready for that step if they couldn't be sure they could keep lenders happy. He didn't like my opinion and I told him to tell me how I was wrong. I replied it's not that I have an opinion, it's that I'm right.

Producing off spring before one is ready for the expense and obligation is no different than someone getting several cards with 20k plus lines and racking them up to the max on stereos, electronics, trips and partying.  Except that children don't "go away" with a court filing. I can often understand and forgive anyone making mistakes with credit, not so much with their off spring.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 7 of 23
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Couldn't have said it better

Message 8 of 23
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@RyVision wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@rootpooty wrote:

Not to disagree LS;  it doesn't completely suck.  Rootpooty seems to be doing what he can to keep up with that obligation and it seems he got it caught up fine. And I respect that HIGHLY.

Not all parents are that way, for some that state intervention is needed to make sure they take care of their kids. I do my best to scare the bejebers out of anyone thinking of reproducing before they're established. Off spring are the biggest most important "creditor" one can ever be "approved for", there is no being late, there is no BK and there is no going back. They make an AMEX Centurion look like doggie doo in comparison when it comes to level of obligation.

A young man and his wife in my family heard my blunt opinion about trying to have children while not being sure if they were going to be able to keep their home. I frankly told them they were by no stretch ready for that step if they couldn't be sure they could keep lenders happy. He didn't like my opinion and I told him to tell me how I was wrong. I replied it's not that I have an opinion, it's that I'm right.

Producing off spring before one is ready for the expense and obligation is no different than someone getting several cards with 20k plus lines and racking them up to the max on stereos, electronics, trips and partying.  Except that children don't "go away" with a court filing. I can often understand and forgive anyone making mistakes with credit, not so much with their off spring.

I agree with everything you said Ry! The child should come first no matter what.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 23
boomhower
Valued Contributor

OP the situation sucks but I don't see anything Navy has done wrong.  As mentioned above if they alerted everyone when the accounts were going to be levied most folks are going to empy the account, then the govt is not going to be happy with them.  Your trying to do the right thing and I commend you for that but the policies are based on those that don't.  Glad to hear your situation is improving and I hope everything works out for you. Navy is a great instittion to be with and I wouldn't drop them over this.  Heck, I wish I had an in with them.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.