Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

feedback requested - considering a card application - rewards/app strategy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

feedback requested - considering a card application - rewards/app strategy

in a situation where I have a ton of work, increased income, and a ton of travel.  Trying to figure out if I should apply for 1 more card that is travel specific.  Asking for feedback on whether I should choose one card or strategy over another or just wait.  Have slim chances of actually getting another but I have a ton of spending to do in Q1 and Q2 this year, all reimburseable business expenses and have been pretty fortunate in approvals for past 2 years.  

cards in question - (in order of interest)

-World of Hyatt

-Chase Ink Preferred

-Chase Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Business

-AMEX Starwood business

-BarclayCard Arrival+

BACKGROUND:

I've been staying at Hilton, got the AMEX biz account, enjoying the bonus earning and gold member benefits. Just about done with the SUB and time is almost up.  Will stay at Hilton over next couple weeks and finish the bonus.  

got a Sapphire preferred Q4 and met the SUB spending requirement through holiday spending, holiday travel, etc.  Love this card and now regret not getting the Reserve, or should I say, trying for the Reserve, who knows if I would have actually gotten it.  

It's crazy how booking a hotel in advance can be 20% more than booking last-minute-day-of.  I have been staying 80% HIlton, 20%Marriott but a couple days ago had to book a hotel for this week and got stupid prices so kept searching and found a FANTASTIC rate for Hyatt Place.  I've actually never stayed since I've always either went SUPER budget like small AirBnB, Hilton/Marriott for points, but have read positive press for their loyalty program, the new card, awesome redemptions, and really quality standards so I gave the hotel a shot.  I joined the program and booked the room, and paid 25% less than what Hilton was asking. 

Now that I'm here I'm really loving their member-included breakfast, the room size/layout and amenities.   I've been telling myself that IF I get a new credit card it's only going to be a business card until either the rest of my negatives fall off my profile or a really awesome offer comes along - BUT RIGHT NOW my predicament is the World of Hyatt SUB is currently 60,000 pts for tiered spend, it ends 1/9, the next SUB is 50,000 - it looks like 10,000 pts is worth 2 nights at this category 1 hotel that I'm staying at.  

it seems that the Hyatt bonus is a special enough reward that it's worth consideration....

this could all be moot, I could get an immediate rejection.  I'm only even thinking about it because I've been on a winning streak with applications for the past 2 years of my rebuild.   I've been building business credit and still feel that it's best to only be getting business cards if any since a) I only get affected by an inquiry on my personal credit.  b) I dont really need to build my personal spending portfolio

however my business card portfolio is not considering I have enough credit to cover my spending for a few months, it's just frustrating that my highest limit is on a 'general' spend cash card.  And since it looks like I might move around hotel brands to find savings that maybe a general travel card like Chase Ink Preferred would be the right fit, so that I'm earning a high return on all brands.....

here's the rationale

-World of Hyatt - as described above

-Ink Preferred - as described above

-Marriott Business - I stay at a decent amount of Marriott/Starwood properties, if Chase is willing to keep approving me over 5/24 then this would be a good ard since there's a solid checkout bonus and then I can start the clock on when I can get a bonus through AMEX/Starwood

-AMEX Starwood  Business - same as above but in reverse and banking on a soft pull which would mean no impact at all to my personal credit

-Barclaycard ARrival + - general travel card considered due to elevated bonus.  that would be the only real attraction.  I feel like if i'm going to get a ding to personal credit I should do the Hyatt......just threw it out there

and then MAYBE Amex Biz Platinum - I have been telling myself I'll apply end of January - would like to get in on the lower AF but then get moved into the new WeWork perks when it launches

I'm a mess upstairs...probably going to just tell myself to do nothing.  Just wait for the AMEX Platinum in a month.  

but I would welcome any feedback on strategy/rationale

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: feedback requested - considering a card application - rewards/app strategy

How many accounts have you opened in the past 12-24 months? All Chase CCs are now subject to the 5/24 restriction, including Hyatt and Marriott biz. Core cards like CSR or Ink may have a chance or *could* potentially clear the 5/24 hurdle (although YEMV) with in-branch pre-approvals. But as far as co-branded, those won't even be able to get reconsidered if declined.

So, potentially, the SPG biz might be doable. You also mentioned 'maybe' AmEx Platinum - there's a 75K MR sub floating around and most have been able to trigger it via incognito.

As far as Arrival+, if you have been on a winning streak with a bunch of new accounts in the past ~12 or so months, it'll likely get declined. You're welcome to try though. It's a harder CC to obtain than the other Barclay CC offerings.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: feedback requested - considering a card application - rewards/app strategy

as of Jan 2019 I am 7/24.  When I got the Sapphire I was 8/24, which is why I considered pushing the issue.  

-i've never noticed that co-branded cards can not be reconsidered....wow

-the AMEX Platinum will be the biz version which comes standard with 75,000 SUB but with a ton more spend required

So far I've stayed put, just stayed busy at work.  Have not attemtped any applications, might change tonight, probably not.  Thanks for the input though, definitely staying away from Arrival and Chase co-brand and that means the Hyatt card/bonus deadline of today is not really worth it

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.