cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gas cards? yes or no?

tag
woah_amie

gas cards? yes or no?

I'm currently trying to establish my credit. It's currently at a 685... which actually dropped 25 points... I haven't had any late payments on my Discover, and just yesterday I got approved for a Capital One with a credit limit of $1k. It could be all the inquiries I've made at car dealerships? But that's happened during the past week. 

Would getting a gas card help me out? Or should I just stick to these two cards for now? 

may the force be with you.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Re: gas cards? yes or no?

Walmart CC offer 0.15 cent off till July. ( usually run 2 quarter )

They're very generous with CLI.

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 2 of 11
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

you could get a gas card but my philosophy was to get cards that are useful everywhere. Your score isnt bad, If you let those two cards age you should be able to get almost any card you want in a years time. 

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 3 of 11
TravellingNomad
Established Contributor

i was actually contemplating a chevron card when i got gas yesterday. you have to really read what and when you'll be getting the rewards. for example, the chevron card i was thinking of applying for yesterday, when i asked the attendant the main benefit of the card, he pointed out that it's 10 cents off the posted cc/debit gas purchase. well i thought there must be something else because i don't need their gas card to get a dime off every gallon. i could just pay cash since paying with hard currency was 10 cents cheaper compared to paying with my cc or debit card. he then said if i got the visa, i can get rewards etc. etc.etc. so i took an application pamphlet home and read through it. guess what the pamphlet said?....the 10 cents discount per gallon only starts after you have charged $300. so really...im not saving anything if i used their card since my gas purchase each month averages around $300....and that is getting a dime off every gallon for paying with cash.

Message 4 of 11
mauwow0682
Frequent Contributor

Chevron card would be the way to go if you got a gas card. If you were totally rebuilding I'd say go for it without a doubt. Since credit looks good it's a toss up for me. I got my chevron card when I was rebuilding working the every 4 months CLI that GE is so famously know for. But I don't really use it often. Once ever six months for usage.

With that being said if I were in your position i would wait and go for a card with real cash rewards for gas.

Starting Score: 620 FAKO
Current Score: FICO TU 715 (wal-mart) FICO EQ 692
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 11
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

My vote is also no.  Let the new cards age a bit and go for a rewards card that has a gas reward.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 6 of 11
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Gas company gas cards are not the way to go.  Get another rewards card that offers a good gas benefit.   Amex BCP/BCE and Barclay's Sallie Mae are both good examples. 

Message 7 of 11
lithium78
Established Contributor

If you need a card that gives decent rewards for gas, I would recommend the Bank of America 123 Cash Rewards Visa.  You always get 3% cashback on gas and you can use it anywhere.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 11
100down0monthly
New Contributor

I don't have any gas cards now, but remember when I had one long ago, it seemed that I could never find a Chevron gas station when I needed to fill up.  Smiley LOL 

Message 9 of 11
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Gas cards aren't a great deal in general but they can be helpful for those in the stages of building or rebuilding credit.  However, if you have a bunch of inquiries you probably don't want to apply for one now.  Let the inquiries fall off and then try applying.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.