Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ge credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

ge credit

i filled out a credit app and was approved for credit, but haven't used it yet. does this count as open line of credit or just an inquiry?
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: ge credit

If you where approved then it's a open line of credit what card did you get approved for.
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

it is a ge credit card for an appliance, my intention was use it only so i don't have pay c.o.d. and pay the balance completely from my savings acount.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

marv wrote:
it is a ge credit card for an appliance, my intention was use it only so i don't have pay c.o.d. and pay the balance completely from my savings acount.

Well congrats on your approval.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks, but the i'm not thrilled if this can hurt more than help. befor reading about these scores i assumed i would get the appliances, pay the complete balance. then cancel it.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

marv wrote:
thanks, but the i'm not thrilled if this can hurt more than help. befor reading about these scores i assumed i would get the appliances, pay the complete balance. then cancel it.

Why would it hurt you in this a store card or a visa or mastercard?
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

It might hurt you for a bit because of an inquiry and may make your utilization jump for one month. It's another positive trendline though so it should give you a bump.

Message Edited by jaybird201 on 08-10-2008 12:22 PM
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response. I hit a rough spot a couple of years ago, but finally got caught up with mortgage and credit cards as of 9-10 months ago. From reading about this fico, I realize that while I was just focused on paying back without charge offs or reworking my mortgage, I did somethings that weren't smart. Oh Well. What's done is done. For now, Can anyone tell me If I am going about things the right way going forward? All of this below is joint with my wife. I kept 3 credit cards open, and now as of Saturday, I have a 7k line of credit with 6 months interest free, open with an appliance retailer thru GE. In addition to a mortgage and 2 car loans. I use about $500 in credit charges each month, pay that off in full each month. (It is all reimbursed salesman expenses) I had been running that up on the same card,$750.00 limit each month. The other 2 cards have an addional $1200.00 comined limit, but we don't use them , unless it is for air fare, car rental, stuff that can't be done without charging. I plan to keep all the cards open, I was going to close one card, because it has a useless credit limit of $350.00. After reading all this, I will leave it be. The other cards, will split my expenses between the 2, so neither card's limit will utilized more than 40%. I don't know how to handle the store credit cards. I know I shouldn't close the credit lines like planned, but is it ok to pay in full the first statement? The money is in the bank, and the card is offering 5 months no interst. Is there a big advantage to paying it in installments, and pay it off completely before any interest accrues? Thanks.
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Couldn't figure out haow to edit, I replied to myself.

Thanks for the response.
I hit a rough spot a couple of years ago, but finally got caught up with mortgage and credit cards as of 9-10 months ago. From reading about this fico, I realize that while I was just focused on paying back without charge offs or reworking my mortgage, I did somethings that weren't smart. Oh Well. What's done is done.

For now, Can anyone tell me If I am going about things the right way going forward?

All of this below is joint with my wife.

I kept 3 credit cards open, and now as of Saturday, I have a 7k line of credit with 6 months interest free, open with an appliance retailer thru GE. In addition to a mortgage and 2 car loans. I use about $500 in credit charges each month, pay that off in full each month. (It is all reimbursed salesman expenses) I had been running that up on the same card,$750.00 limit each month. The other 2 cards have an addional $1200.00 comined limit, but we don't use them , unless it is for air fare, car rental, stuff that can't be done without charging.

I plan to keep all the cards open, I was going to close one card, because it has a useless credit limit of $350.00. After reading all this, I will leave it be. The other cards, will split my expenses between the 2, so neither card's limit will utilized more than 40%.

I don't know how to handle the store credit cards. I know I shouldn't close the credit lines like planned, but is it ok to pay in full the first statement? The money is in the bank, and the card is offering 5 months no interst. Is there a big advantage to paying it in installments, and pay it off completely before any interest accrues?
Thanks
Message 9 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Hi, marv, welcome to the forums!

It sounds like you have what you need for now. I treat all my CC's, including credit cards, as if they were debit cards. In other words, if I don't have the money in the bank, I don't use them. I pay them off BEFORE the statement drops, so that they report $0 balance and 0% util to the credit bureaus, which definitely helps my scores (and my peace of mind.) Let one report a balance each month, and then immediately PIF. On that card, you can pay all but $10 (as an example) early and let the $10 report, to give you really low util. Just don't forget to then pay it off. Doesn't matter which card --you can rotate it around, or always let it be the same one.

It doesn't matter to the creditors whether you pay before or after the statement drops --that's just a scoring tactic. You do want to air each card out frequently though, so they don't get canceled for inactivity. Those two that you don't use often need to see daylight every other month or so. Put a tank of gas on each, and then pay them off. Or if you have a recurring bill (cell, utilities, charity, newspaper), you can put it on a card and keep it active that way.

You especially want to PIF store cards, as they generally have breathtaking APR's.

If you currently have balances, you'll want to work toward no ongoing balances, which will put you in charge of your credit. I use plastic for just about everything, but I have very little debt.

After you do this for a while, you will see slow and steady score improvement, because you're adding current clean history, which shoves the problem history further and further back. The new FICO 08 scoring formulas (whenever they stagger into use) will concentrate more on the most recent 24 months, so every month of good behavior now will lessen the impact of any baddies in the past. Good luck!

Oh, BTW, how to edit: go to the post you want to edit. Click on "Options" in the top right corner of that particular post. You'll see "Edit message" as the first option. Click that, and then you can highlight anything that you want to delete and erase it, or put your cursor wherever to add. At the end, click "Preview Post" at the bottom right of your text box to see if it looks right. And if you're in Firefox, be sure to check "Automatically convert carriage returns to HTML line breaks" at the bottom left, or your paragraphs will vanish, and you'll be left with a giant blob of text. HTH
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.