Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

generate pre approvals

tag
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

generate pre approvals

anyone have advise on how to artificially 'stimulate' a pre approval? ideas on this anyone?

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
SevenNEW
Established Contributor

Re: generate pre approvals

Pay bills on time? Smiley Wink

SevenNEW, Garden Nerd - In the Garden until 2015!
4.2K 10K 24.6K
Message 2 of 23
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

Step 1. Get a secured card, with a decent limit (over $1,000). 

Step 2. Opt in for offers. 

Step 3. Wait 6 - 8 months, with perfect payment history. 

Step 4. Read the offers; shred the ones with AFs. Actually consider the oned with no AFs. 

Note: This is assuming you don't have any bddies. Get rid of those too; if you have any. 

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Message 3 of 23
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Not all cards with annual fees are bad.

I would say paying your bills on time and waiting, waiting, waiting.  Is there a specific card you want to get a preapproval from?  Also, I would keep utilization down so when they SP you, your score is the best it can be.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 23
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

@clocktick wrote:

Not all cards with annual fees are bad.

I would say paying your bills on time and waiting, waiting, waiting.  Is there a specific card you want to get a preapproval from?  Also, I would keep utilization down so when they SP you, you score is the best it can be.

True.  But the OP is looking to trigger an offer.  Any card offer the OP doesn't already qualify for, with an AF is likely subprime, or a charge card. 

Then again; we don't know what offer th OP is looking for. 

Message 5 of 23
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

Then again; we don't know what offer th OP is looking for. 

And on that note: If you want to get an offer from Orchard Bank; I recommend having  pulse.

Those B*stards won't stop spamming my inbox.

Message 6 of 23
ontop
Regular Contributor

Here is my add up:

Not sure about other credit cards, but with Amex here is my very own personal experience. I was messing around with their pre-qualifier just for fun, then within a month offer came in the order of:

1)Zync - went  straight to shredder

2)Green - went  straight to shredder, again

3)Gold - went  straight to shredder, as expected.

I have no interest in Amex business model long time ago.

Starting Score: 547
Current FICO Score: TU 747, EQ 732, EX 742 [10/2014]
Goal FICO Score: 777
Message 7 of 23
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

no.........i not looking to build credit in this question. i am looking for unique ways to artificially 'cause' a pre approval. for example, when i became a hhonors member, it triggered a pre approval for me not much longer after. one time after i opened up the pre app site and entered the conformation info. a week later i received another pre approval from that website for the same thing. i think i have an answer, but am looking for other interesting unique methods to artifically cause a pre approval.

Message 8 of 23
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I think the more crap you sign up for with the CC, the better chance you have or receiving targeted offers. For example, Amex has a lot of communciations settings. I believe if you let them spam you on more stuff, you have a better chance of receiving some of their targeted offers for better bonus points on applying for a new account.  Not sure if other cards might have things like that too.

Also, applying for a card seems to work. Smiley Tongue  When I was rebuilding (I suppose I'm still rebuilding), I applied for a Chase Freedom a little too early and was denied. Within a week I started receiving pre-approved offers to apply for different Chase products, usually three different offers a week. I don't know how much stock I'd put in those though.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 23
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

i have been testing this idea out but i go to a bank, credit union, grab a pamphlet or go directly to their website, select and apply for one of the credit cards that they offer that i like the most. then i fill out the applicaton and press continue/confirm to post. once i am on the confirm and submit page and see that all of my information is correct, i simply close the window. i have filled out 4 applications doing this and not actually applying. i just started doing this as an experiment to see if it will work, so i dont know what will happen. i hope my theory is correct about them saving my information and then responding to it by soft pulling my credit, thus sending me offers that they are willing to qualify me for. for now i am keeping my fingers crossed. 

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.