Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

getting good mail offers

tag
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Re: getting good mail offers

Op..

Your credit is too thin and fresh.... You need to age ... and not just three months.. More like 6mo - year.... Take what you have and age them.....

Seen this where other cards want your previous cards to have a bit of age on them before they will play ball... In that time, you should be able to grow both the Discover and Amex...... Barclay, similar to Chase and a few others does NOT like young credit profiles....  You have a good starting lineup... they just need some time...... 

-J

Message 21 of 37
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

here's what i learned, barclays wants about a year of history, earliest approvals I've seen are for 9mo history. They will auto-deny you for having too many pulls, but call recon and they'll allow an infinite number of pulls to approve you. Their auto approved credit limits are low, and recon can give you lots more, but they might make you jump through hoops for that like asking for paystubs. They never will let you lower your APR, it's stuck at whatever you sign up at. CLI's are always a hard pull.

Oh if that were only true.   Success can be had but they're sensitive to recent HP and recent accounts even for thick profiles.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 22 of 37
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@coldfusion wrote:

Why are you targeting both the Citi DC and the Paypal 2% cashback card?    They're largely redundant especially with a thin file.  You also already have what is effectively a 2% CB card in your Discover IT card through next June due to Cashback Match. 

BarclayUS is not particularly friendly to new profiles especially when it comes to their better cards.

I'm looking at a 2% card for when the discover matching ends. I think most people prefer the paypal card because no FTF and no min redemption. The reason I also wanted a citi card is because I heard that they frequently send out BT offers, and if one card was carrying a balance with a 0% offer I'd still have the other 2% card for purchases. Does that sound like a good plan?

You could do that.  One caveat is that while the DC has an attractive BT offer for newly opened cards Citi tends to be pretty conservative with its SL.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 23 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

i'd like to get some cards that send out 0% BT offers after the promo for new cards has ended, i thought citi was supposed to be the best for that? @Aim_High @coldfusion

i go directly to banks websites to check prequals to show them i'm interested, and i log into experian to look at their card recommendations. about a week ago i started getting recommended for chase and citi cards on experian, with the approval chance listed as "good" even though my score hasn't changed. it's probably from my accounts aging because my amex hasn't reported yet.

all the mail i got so far came from experian partners so i'm considering to sign up at TU and EQ to see if i get different or better mail. my highest score is on TU so maybe i'll get better offers from those partners Smiley Very Happy

Message 24 of 37
SoCalifornia
Frequent Contributor

OP- consider gardening another 6 months. Having that larger limit with AmEx will be your rock. Just continue showing interest to other lenders and do nothing with them. My experience shows banks love to play hard to get and they will see you have AmEx in your corner. Gardening is tough, but gets easier over time and pays off in a huge way. Just hit your current lenders up for CLI requests while gardening. I don't do business with AmEx, but I understand CLI's are a strong point for them. And Discover can literally deny you today for any wonky reason and throw you a 3k CLI tomorrow 😂 Time is your best weapon.

Message 25 of 37
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Experian gets paid to peddle cards, and their recommendations are about as accurate as 8 ball predictions. 

You really need to stay away from the app if you want those letters to come one day 

The only thing worse than dirty files when it comes to approvals are young files.  

Also, you just got your cards, why is BT even being thrown into the mix at this time? 

Are you rebuilding? Because if you are, balances are what gets us in trouble in a first place 

If you just started, but are planning to carry them, see above 

Message 26 of 37
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

Experian gets paid to peddle cards, and their recommendations are about as accurate as 8 ball predictions. 

You really need to stay away from the app if you want those letters to come one day 

The only thing worse than dirty files when it comes to approvals are young files.  

**Also, you just got your cards, why is BT even being thrown into the mix at this time?**

Are you rebuilding? Because if you are, balances are what gets us in trouble in a first place 

+1 on all the above.

Especially good question in bold. 

I missed the very young age on your cards when you asked about BT options.

Unless you're combining non-revolving debt of some kind, rebuilding, or needing some temporary major purchases, I agree that this could be a major sign of trouble.  Carrying a balance is a downward spiral that is hard to swim out of.  I had to do it at one point after a major career disruption and it took a very long time to pay it all off, even with 0% BT offers, refinancing a house, etc.    A little credit can be very dangerous if you're not careful and know what you're doing.

By the way, you do realize that 0% financing offers are not completely free money?  You still normally have to pay a 3% to 5% BT fee, which could easily be several hundred dollars or more depending on the balance.  It's effectively an annual rate of 3-5% if you get 12-months @ 0%.  Cheaper than regular rates, but not free.  Meanwhile, the higher you drive up your utilization rate (your percentage of credit line you are using), the more it impacts your credit score for the short term.  High utilization can really tank a good score.  It can even cause your other lenders to get concerned as they do account reviews (AR) and decide to take adverse action (AA) by decreasing your CLs or closing accounts in the most extreme cases.  With a thin file like yours, that could especially be true.   In my situation I discussed above, I experienced some of that, even with a much thicker and established file.  For the best scores, you want a utilization under 9% of your limit.  From there, as it climbs, it starts to lower your score. 

Yes, you read that right. 9% or less is optimum. Smiley Surprised So if you reframe your credit lines in that context, you should shoot for routinely having statement balances on your $1K card of $90 or less, your $1.5K card of $135 or less, and your $6K card of $540 or less.  If you think about this this way, it will help to keep you out of trouble.  That's why many of us pursue the high limits; for utilization padding to allow us to actually use our credit lines more realistically without decreasing scores as much.

All of that said, you asked, 

wrote: "i'd like to get some cards that send out 0% BT offers after the promo for new cards has ended, i thought citi was supposed to be the best for that? @Aim_High @coldfusion

So IME, CITI never gave me good BT offers.  Discover did (and you already have a Discover, so that is the first place I would look if I needed it.) 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 27 of 37
SoCalifornia
Frequent Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

**Also, you just got your cards, why is BT even being thrown into the mix at this time?**

+1 on all the above.

Especially good question in bold. 

I missed the very young age on your cards when you asked about BT options.

Unless you're combining non-revolving debt of some kind, rebuilding, or needing some temporary major purchases, I agree that this could be a major sign of trouble.  Carrying a balance is a downward spiral that is hard to swim out of.  I had to do it at one point after a major career disruption and it took a very long time to pay it all off, even with 0% BT offers, refinancing a house, etc.    A little credit can be very dangerous if you're not careful and know what you're doing.

By the way, you do realize that 0% financing offers are not completely free money?  You still normally have to pay a 3% to 5% BT fee, which could easily be several hundred dollars or more depending on the balance.  It's effectively an annual rate of 3-5% if you get 12-months @ 0%.  Cheaper than regular rates, but not free.  Meanwhile, the higher you drive up your utilization rate (your percentage of credit line you are using), the more it impacts your credit score for the short term.  High utilization can really tank a good score.  It can even cause your other lenders to get concerned as they do account reviews (AR) and decide to take adverse action (AA) by decreasing your CLs or closing accounts in the most extreme cases.  With a thin file like yours, that could especially be true.   In my situation I discussed above, I experienced some of that, even with a much thicker and established file.  For the best scores, you want a utilization under 9% of your limit.  From there, as it climbs, it starts to lower your score. 

Yes, you read that right. 9% or less is optimum. Smiley Surprised So if you reframe your credit lines in that context, you should shoot for routinely having statement balances on your $1K card of $90 or less, your $1.5K card of $135 or less, and your $6K card of $540 or less.  If you think about this this way, it will help to keep you out of trouble.  That's why many of us pursue the high limits; for utilization padding to allow us to actually use our credit lines more realistically without decreasing scores as much.

All of that said, you asked, 

wrote: "i'd like to get some cards that send out 0% BT offers after the promo for new cards has ended, i thought citi was supposed to be the best for that? @Aim_High @coldfusion

So IME, CITI never gave me good BT offers.  Discover did (and you already have a Discover, so that is the first place I would look if I needed it.) 

Spot-On, excellent article. 

Message 28 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

i just want to have BT offers as an option for the future, i never carry balances and i keep my utils low. i don't think they would balance chase you for carrying a balance on a BT offer would they?

yes i'm a rebuilder but i did nothing wrong. my report got ruined and it was easier to wait the 7yrs for it to fall off than to dispute because i rarely used credit. my file is totally new now, no bad stuff, perfect payment history.

my plan is to build my file thicker and then garden because if i garden now for a long time and add more cards when i stop, then they haven't aged. i'd lose out on payment history (35% of score) and have less AAoA buffer (15% of score).

i do garden a bit between each app to space it out, i'm not doing sprees. i'm using each card as a stepping stone to a better one. subprime -> prime -> prime w/ a good limit.

i'm pretty happy with how it's worked out so far, if i had waited longer to app for my discover card by a few more months they might have given me a higher starting limit. but then again, i'd have lost the payment history that makes up the biggest part of my score, and my score would be lower. so i don't regret it, i was shooting for a 700 and i got it.

Message 29 of 37
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

i don't think they would balance chase you for carrying a balance on a BT offer would they?

They can and will under the right combination of circumstances. It depends on the overall picture. Just be careful.

Let's say you BT and have a high UTI with Bank A.  Then you do the same with Bank B.  Bank A may see that second high balance and start to balance chase you to lower their risk.  And Bank B may follow.  The problem is, you don't know when you will have exceeded their internal comfort levels, even though you are well within the margins of your approved credit line.  Different banks have different tolerances and there are also complex variables at play within any given credit report, so it's hard to predict.  It's best to be conservative. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 30 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.