Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

getting mileage out of an amex green card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

getting mileage out of an amex green card

I'm an old guy with a long banged-up credit history and six credit cards.  One is an AMEX green card I obtained in September 2013.  Amex for some reason gave me credit history back to 1991 when I had an optima card that I wrote off in chap 7 bankruptcy in 1992.  I remember how they hounded me for the $1000 I owed on the card, even while my bankruptcy was being processed.  It was finally discharged in 1994.  I ran up a huge debt from when I received a huge disability settlement in 2004-2011 and settled many tens of thousands of dollars of credit card debt and am still paying on a $116,000 home equity line of credit that has been late several times, most recently in September 2013, the month I received the green card.  AMEX didn't cancel me, though one card I did have at the time elimated my credit line and I closed the account.  The cards I have now, all obtained since June 2012, have never been late and I currently have a $300 outstanding balance with a 10K credit line along with the green card.  The home equity LOC has been paid since 9/2013 on time as well.  My credit score has creeped back to the 700 range and I posted about chase offering me preapproved cards lately (I have freedom and amazon).  My annual disability income is $50K tax free and I pay $750 rent.  I'm single, 53 and live alone in a retirement home in Oregon.

Regarding the green, I last applied for a card (AMEX everyday) in August 2014 and was denied.  I was denied an US Bank card in June, my last hard pull (I have 4 showing up on my TU report as of this time).  The reasons for denial in both cases were long.  My credit score at the time was around 675. The late HELOC payments were probably the main reason.  I was hoping to get the everyday card to keep my foot in AMEX and cancel the green with the $95 AF.  Well, AMEX basically canceled the AF it for me (almost).  Their customer service is quite good.  I spoke to a representative and received a $50 credit toward the AF that hit in September.  Also, I have received $10 credits just for asking why a promotion credit wasn't posted to my account as quickly as I wanted.  So the credits that I have received have virtually offset the $95 AF.  I like AMEX offers and use the card sparingly.  I also use it to rent cars because of the insurance offer.  I own a car with full coverage.  I'm trying to live within a budget and not apply for more credit.  I have a habit of going after cards and have been tempted to act on the chase offers, especially since I have my disability check deposited there along with the two cards.  

So, I guess I'll keep the green and use it as a tool to stay in bounds, since I have to pay it off every month.  I'll keep checking the offers on-line.  I know the card doesn't offer much but given my history I probably can't qualify for something better.  I should be grateful for what I have and watch all the money problems that I have had most of my life, when I have had money at all.  

Anybody have comments about the green?  Thanks.

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: getting mileage out of an amex green card

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm an old guy with a long banged-up credit history and six credit cards.  One is an AMEX green card I obtained in September 2013.  Amex for some reason gave me credit history back to 1991 when I had an optima card that I wrote off in chap 7 bankruptcy in 1992.  I remember how they hounded me for the $1000 I owed on the card, even while my bankruptcy was being processed.  It was finally discharged in 1994.  I ran up a huge debt from when I received a huge disability settlement in 2004-2011 and settled many tens of thousands of dollars of credit card debt and am still paying on a $116,000 home equity line of credit that has been late several times, most recently in September 2013, the month I received the green card.  AMEX didn't cancel me, though one card I did have at the time elimated my credit line and I closed the account.  The cards I have now, all obtained since June 2012, have never been late and I currently have a $300 outstanding balance with a 10K credit line along with the green card.  The home equity LOC has been paid since 9/2013 on time as well.  My credit score has creeped back to the 700 range and I posted about chase offering me preapproved cards lately (I have freedom and amazon).  My annual disability income is $50K tax free and I pay $750 rent.  I'm single, 53 and live alone in a retirement home in Oregon.

Regarding the green, I last applied for a card (AMEX everyday) in August 2014 and was denied.  I was denied an US Bank card in June, my last hard pull (I have 4 showing up on my TU report as of this time).  The reasons for denial in both cases were long.  My credit score at the time was around 675. The late HELOC payments were probably the main reason.  I was hoping to get the everyday card to keep my foot in AMEX and cancel the green with the $95 AF.  Well, AMEX basically canceled the AF it for me (almost).  Their customer service is quite good.  I spoke to a representative and received a $50 credit toward the AF that hit in September.  Also, I have received $10 credits just for asking why a promotion credit wasn't posted to my account as quickly as I wanted.  So the credits that I have received have virtually offset the $95 AF.  I like AMEX offers and use the card sparingly.  I also use it to rent cars because of the insurance offer.  I own a car with full coverage.  I'm trying to live within a budget and not apply for more credit.  I have a habit of going after cards and have been tempted to act on the chase offers, especially since I have my disability check deposited there along with the two cards.  

So, I guess I'll keep the green and use it as a tool to stay in bounds, since I have to pay it off every month.  I'll keep checking the offers on-line.  I know the card doesn't offer much but given my history I probably can't qualify for something better.  I should be grateful for what I have and watch all the money problems that I have had most of my life, when I have had money at all.  

Anybody have comments about the green?  Thanks.

Original green. Cherish it. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 29
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

There is nothing classier than an AMEX green card.  Nothing.

Message 3 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

So much, that when the AF comes up on my PRG, I plan on downgrading to Senior Green. If only I could still get a Zync...No AF!

Message 4 of 29
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So much, that when the AF comes up on my PRG, I plan on downgrading to Senior Green. If only I could still get a Zync...No AF!

Just curious why would you downgrade to a green versus cancelling the PRG all together? I see you have revolvers with amex already. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 5 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Just curious why would you downgrade to a green versus cancelling the PRG all together? I see you have revolvers with amex already. 

Nostalgia? I dunno. 

Message 6 of 29
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

My only suggestion is to consider changing your Green to the Senior Green and save money on the AF.  You can pay more to keep the MR points, if you need them.   If not, there's no point.  And definitely keep on the lookout for the AMEX Offers!

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 7 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SunriseEarth wrote:

My only suggestion is to consider changing your Green to the Senior Green and save money on the AF.  You can pay more to keep the MR points, if you need them.   If not, there's no point.  And definitely keep on the lookout for the AMEX Offers!

Don't need to pay to keep MR points. Amex ED = no AF and is sufficient. 

Edit: If you meant you can pay more to keep your rewards on the green as well as accrued MR points, you are correct. But paying 75 bucks for MR points on a senior green is still high since the rewards structure is weak, and paying 35 bucks for the no rewards version is wasted money again. While 35 bucks, 75 bucks, or even 95 bucks is not a lot of money, I tend to dislike spending AFs on cards with weak benefits.

Message 8 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@SunriseEarth wrote:

Don't need to pay to keep MR points. Amex ED = no AF and is sufficient. 

Edit: If you meant you can pay more to keep your rewards on the green as well as accrued MR points, you are correct. But paying 75 bucks for MR points on a senior green is still high since the rewards structure is weak, and paying 35 bucks for the no rewards version is wasted money again. While 35 bucks, 75 bucks, or even 95 bucks is not a lot of money, I tend to dislike spending AFs on cards with weak benefits.

I guess.

I may end up just closing it since the TL will report until 2025 regardless. It will show up as a 7+yr old account Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 29
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Nixon. The zync had a $25 annual fee. Didn't it? Lol
Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.