cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

got an amex blue... go for the gold too?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

got an amex blue... go for the gold too?

So this morning I talked myself into applying for the Amex Blue and, after having to conference call with wachovia so they could verify my address, was approved! I was too distracted by the news that I was approved to hear what the CL is going to be.

So my question is, would it be too greedy to go for a charge card at the same time? I really want an Amex Gold, but I don't want to push my luck too far. I don't really need the Gold card, but dangit I want the satisfaction of knowing I have it anyway! Also, I'm not sure if they would use the same credit pull from this morning or if it would be a second hard pull.

Right now I have a BofA $1500 CL and Chase $2000 CL + whatever the Blue ends up at.

Suggestions? Leave it be and keep my eyes on the mail for an offer? Go for the Green for a while to build up to a Gold offer? Or just go for it and see what happens?

As long as they stick to TU or EX, I'm good to go credit score wise, EQ is a little more iffy.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: got an amex blue... go for the gold too?

It is a lot easier to get than the blue. I got a amex credit card and charge card on the same day and it only cost me one inquiry. Better hurry if you want to keep as one. I use them both all the time, and you can link the points together. Just PIF!
Message 2 of 9
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Multiple applications on the same day use the same inquiry. So, if you want to app for a Gold without the additional hard pull, I would advise to pull the trigger.
Here we go again...
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pulled the trigger on the Gold and got it!

Thanks for the extra push to keep me from talking myself out of it.
Message 4 of 9
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Congrats! I am thinking of switching my Green to Gold, but can't find any real reason to since I won't save any money on AUs or anything.

$95 is pretty steep, but $125 and $150 are even steeper.
Here we go again...
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know there's probably zero reason for me to get a Gold instead of a Green as far as usage and benefits. Bottom line though is that for some reason I really wanted it, and I'll bite the bullet on the extra AF just to have it! Smiley Very Happy
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Upgrading to Gold from Green is on my June things to do list-
With 2 AU's - it's cheaper. 

Interesting on my Green theey charged me for the AU (DW) I set up when I opened my account but never charged for the AU I added later.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your new cards and welcome to the AMEX family-

Remember- ALL AMEX cards should be treated as "Charge Cards" and their balances not carried over 3 cycles.

Always pay your Charge card in full and on-time - don't use the flex pay option. 

Set up your banking information ASAP-
Credit Secure is only 11.99 a month -
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats. It wasn't that bad was it?
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.