Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do Pre-Qualified websites works?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

how do Pre-Qualified websites works?

There are some banks that have a page which show pre-qualified offers by entring name, address, and last 4 digit ssn.

I know that they do not put inquiry on reports!

How they compute and show offers?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: how do Pre-Qualified websites works?

This is a great question, how can some people be prequalified while others are not. And yet sometimes you call in for reconsideration and are approved. Also on a personal note i think all credit cards should offer prequalifying tool on their site.

Message 2 of 13
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There are some banks that have a page which show pre-qualified offers by entring name, address, and last 4 digit ssn.

Welcome to the forum good question as well

Sorry for the late answer 

But here's how it works

After filling out your info the computer SP's your CR's to see if you qualify for any of there products 

Good chances of approval if you see 2 key components on the offer

1) a set APR 

2) the opt out notice 

Don't trust BofA, Discover 

Trust Citi, Chase and Amex 

But be sure the 2 key points are listed or don't trust any of them 

Not sure ask here 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Welcome to the forum good question as well

Sorry for the late answer 

But here's how it works

After filling out your info the computer SP's your CR's to see if you qualify for any of there products 

Good chances of approval if you see 2 key components on the offer

1) a set APR 

2) the opt out notice 

Don't trust BofA, Discover 

Trust Citi, Chase and Amex 

But be sure the 2 key points are listed or don't trust any of them 

Not sure ask here 

+1

I will also add that Capital One's pre-qualifier is pretty trustworthy as well.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

The part about the opt out notice is interesting. I opted out of recieving targeted ads several years ago, and (I'm assuming as a result) I'm not prequalified for anything (I checked)...

EXCEPT American Express lists me as prequalified for a few cards despite that. So I'm a bit confused. American Express is the ONLY company that list any prequalified cards for me, so is that because my credit report is only good enough for American Express (I somehow doubt this) or because everyone else got the opt-out memo except Amex? And if the latter is true, how did it happen?

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The part about the opt out notice is interesting. I opted out of recieving targeted ads several years ago, and (I'm assuming as a result) I'm not prequalified for anything (I checked)...

EXCEPT American Express lists me as prequalified for a few cards despite that. So I'm a bit confused. American Express is the ONLY company that list any prequalified cards for me, so is that because my credit report is only good enough for American Express (I somehow doubt this) or because everyone else got the opt-out memo except Amex? And if the latter is true, how did it happen?

That is a good question. My first instinct is that perhaps one of the lenders you currently have shares your info in regards to your credit worthiness with others. Most lenders do this, and you have to select "no" in your Privacy options. Some lenders allow you to do this online, but some (like Cap1) makes you call in. I'm not a big fan of my info being shared with every Tom, Dick, and Harry, so I always change my Privacy options to not allow the lenders to share my info. They won't let you turn off all sharing, but they usually do for affiliates and non-affiliates. Not saying this is why you pre-qual for Amex even though you're opted out, but it wouldn't surprise me either.

Message 6 of 13
sr383
Regular Contributor

As I see it, even if you've opted out, if you run a pre-qual, you're opting in for the purpose of that query. I know it doesn't work that way, but it should. Smiley Wink

Costco TrueEarningsSallie Mae MasterCardDiscover itUS Bank Cash+Chase SlateBlue Cash EverydayFidelity VisaTU-803/EQ-808/EX-800
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sr383 wrote:

As I see it, even if you've opted out, if you run a pre-qual, you're opting in for the purpose of that query. I know it doesn't work that way, but it should. Smiley Wink

I'm inclined to agree with you, actually. And I had run the prequalification checks on that premise - not even to apply to anything but more for ego and being competitive, honestly. And I found it interesting that only one company lists me as prequalified for anything, but I'm prequalified for 3 cards from them, each at the lowest advertised APR. So I figured that there's got to be some difference between Amex and everyone else because it doesn't make sense that I'd qualify for them but not anything else (especially as I just got 2 cards a month and a half ago).

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That is a good question. My first instinct is that perhaps one of the lenders you currently have shares your info in regards to your credit worthiness with others. Most lenders do this, and you have to select "no" in your Privacy options. Some lenders allow you to do this online, but some (like Cap1) makes you call in. I'm not a big fan of my info being shared with every Tom, Dick, and Harry, so I always change my Privacy options to not allow the lenders to share my info. They won't let you turn off all sharing, but they usually do for affiliates and non-affiliates. Not saying this is why you pre-qual for Amex even though you're opted out, but it wouldn't surprise me either.

The theory that Amex got my credit info from one of my current lenders deserves consideration. I read Barclays information sharing form, and they only share with other companies they own, so it's unlikely to be them. But I can double check with Chase & Capital One.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
The theory that Amex got my credit info from one of my current lenders deserves consideration. I read Barclays information sharing form, and they only share with other companies they own, so it's unlikely to be them. But I can double check with Chase & Capital One.

Barclay had the sharing with others turned off by default on my Ring card - I like that. I wish all lenders would have sharing turned off by default, but I suppose it's one of the ways they make money off of us Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Barclay had the sharing with others turned off by default on my Ring card - I like that. I wish all lenders would have sharing turned off by default, but I suppose it's one of the ways they make money off of us Smiley Wink

You're probably right. I was reading something recently about how Microsoft pays people to use Bing as a search engine and thinking "the people who sign up for this are geting paid a pittance for telling Microsoft precisely how to target them for ads."

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.