cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how does FICO score work for married couples ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

how does FICO score work for married couples ?

I ran across this article on myFico. 

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/questions/Marriage-And-Score.aspx?LPID=FICO343&cm_mmc=yesmail-_-newsletter-_-February2010-_-FAQ2

It says "For example, if you have a credit card in both of your names and it doesn't get paid on time, that can affect both of your FICO scores – and not in a good way."

So if I have a credit card in my name and at a later time give a add on card to my spouse with her name on it, does the balance and history of that card will affect the spouse score as well ?

Thanks

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Re: how does FICO score work for married couples ?

@Anonymous wrote:

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/questions/Marriage-And-Score.aspx?LPID=FICO343&cm_mmc=yesmail-_-newsletter-_-February2010-_-FAQ2

It says "For example, if you have a credit card in both of your names and it doesn't get paid on time, that can affect both of your FICO scores – and not in a good way."

So if I have a credit card in my name and at a later time give a add on card to my spouse with her name on it, does the balance and history of that card will affect the spouse score as well ?

Thanks

Do you mean adding her as an AU? (authorized user)  Depending on the card issuer, they may or may not report this card on her reports.  If they DO report, this will affect you both.

If you open a new card as joint users/owners...this will report for & affect the both of you.  *the good and the bad.

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I meant adding her as AU.

Now that I think, is there a difference between a " add-on member vs authorized user"  where they have the same card as primary card holder but the name would be different.

Message 3 of 7
Woolfman
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I meant adding her as AU.

Now that I think, is there a difference between a " add-on member vs authorized user"  where they have the same card as primary card holder but the name would be different.

same thing different name Smiley Happy the big difference in a joint account and adding AU is alot of time both report . But say something happens and you cant pay the payments it goes into collections .. an AU can dispute the info on the CR and have it removed and a Joint account both CR's take the hit . 

Message 4 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks

Yes it can help her IF the account is older than any of hers, IF the payment history is long and clean, IF the utilization is very low, and IF it will report to the CRA's. Not all cards will do this. You need to ask the company first. She will inherit the entire history of this account. One caveat however; if this account starts to go south her credit will be affected as well. Keep that in mind.

Message 5 of 7
DI
Super Contributor

One thing for sure, each of you all FICO scores won't ever marry.  Smiley Very Happy  Just a little humor. 
Message 6 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Just make sure that you aren't listed as joint account holders, where each of you are equally responsible for the card, no matter what.

AU (authorized user) is fine.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.