cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how long before a card is cancelled for inactivity?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: how long before a card is cancelled for inactivity?

Care Credit closed 13 months after open for no activity because the CL was to low for me to use.  3 weeks later they started accepting care credit at Rite Aid.

Message 21 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Argggghhh.  Sorry to hear that about your Care Credit account.  Really bites that it actually became useful 3 weeks after they killed it.  Glad to hear another case study though. 

Can you confirm that you had not used the account even once?  All of the cancelled accounts when there was < 13 months of inactivity have so far involved cases where the account was never used.

Message 22 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's correct. I never used the card because the limit was not large enough to take care of the dental work that I needed. Unfortunately, I had not found this site, so I did not know that I could call and ask for more.
Message 23 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry to hear about your care credit card too. I'm suprised mine wasn't closed as well.

I opened my card in 3/13,

paid balance 4/13,

reported lost or stolen 9/15 (I had actually cut it up because 26.99%!),

requested CLI around 11/15 ($4000-$16800) just because, and

used it to buy a vitamin water at Rite Aid 1/16. 

Almost 3 years without actually using it. 

TBH, I wish the finance lady at the dentist never made me get it in the first place.

Message 24 of 37
syeb
Regular Contributor

Great thread. OP I would add one more detail about closures. Have any of the closures for inactivity occured on an annual fee card? Example - my Citi Aadvantage has not been used in years but I keep it and pay the annual fee for the free bags.

Message 25 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Grreat point.  I'd be immensely surprised if anyone has ever had a card closed due to inactivity if there was an annual or monthly fee attached to it.

Message 26 of 37
JagerBombs89
Established Contributor

BTW, my card has now hit 6 years of no activity and is still open.

Message 27 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Remind us again, JB... is this a store card?  Major credit card?

Message 28 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a store card for Helzberg Diamonds that went ~8yrs without activity. I used it to purchase my wedding and engagement rings, never had a use for it after that. I had almost forgot about really...then one day while looking through some stuff I found the card. I assumed the card had been closed long ago...decided to call the number on the back...to my surprise it was still active. They had cut the CL down to $400...can't even remember the original limit. I then created an online acct I promptly requested a CLI...bumped me up $900. About a week later I got a letter in the mail saying the acct would be closed for inactivity by such and such a date...went online and bought the cheapest thing I could find...about $6. Don't know if the request brought on the threat of closer...odd coincidence if not.
Message 29 of 37
JagerBombs89
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Remind us again, JB... is this a store card?  Major credit card?

Store.  Samuel Jewelers

Message 30 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.