cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how long before you can upgrade after downgrading an Amex Hilton card?

tag
kudosalert
Frequent Contributor

how long before you can upgrade after downgrading an Amex Hilton card?

I have both he Aspire and Surpass. The AF on the Surpass posted last month. Not quite sure when the Aspire AF will hit but probably soon Smiley Happy

If I downgraded one or both of those cards to the no AF Hilton, when am I able to upgrade them again? I did manage to redeem a bunch of Hilton points for a family vacation this year. Was a really nice stay with Diamond status but not sure when we will be able to travel to the international destinations I want to again. 

In my wallet:

In my desk:
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: how long before you can upgrade after downgrading an Amex Hilton card?

I'm not aware of any rules preventing a re-upgrade since one is already a year old and the other will be once the AF hits.

You might consider waiting to upgrade until you are targeted for an upgrade bonus.

Also, if you plan to get any other Amex cards in the near future, you might consider keeping at least one AF. Downgrading two cards after 12 months could be aggressive in their eyes and lead them to deny future SUBs. But if you've put a lot of spend on them it's less likely to pose a concern.

You might call the retention department once the AF hits to see if you have an offer on Aspire.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 5
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Amex has been known to extend upgrade offers so if you downgrade there's a possibility that you may be extended such offer.

Like mentioned above, you may want to call to see if there's an offer available before making a decision.
Message 3 of 5
kudosalert
Frequent Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

I'm not aware of any rules preventing a re-upgrade since one is already a year old and the other will be once the AF hits.

You might consider waiting to upgrade until you are targeted for an upgrade bonus.

Also, if you plan to get any other Amex cards in the near future, you might consider keeping at least one AF. Downgrading two cards after 12 months could be aggressive in their eyes and lead them to deny future SUBs. But if you've put a lot of spend on them it's less likely to pose a concern.

You might call the retention department once the AF hits to see if you have an offer on Aspire.

Yeah might downgrade the Aspire down to Surpass and Surpass to the no AF. Tough paying 450$ when we cant fly any where this year.

I realize they might have a retention offer but it would have to be pretty **bleep** good.

In my wallet:

In my desk:
Message 4 of 5
NRB525
Super Contributor

@kudosalert wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

Yeah might downgrade the Aspire down to Surpass and Surpass to the no AF. Tough paying 450$ when we cant fly any where this year.

I realize they might have a retention offer but it would have to be pretty **bleep** good.

Why not just downgrade Aspire to no-AF and call it a day?

I have no specific info to justify this, but it seems less flag-worthy to have one downgrade rather than two dowgrades in a short period of time. You end up in exactly the same card position.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.