Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how long will AMEX do me like this...

tag
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: how long will AMEX do me like this...

OP

IMHO, your monthly spend on what's a new CC account is pretty different from other people, especially for a personal account. I guess my question is--how were you processing this kind of spend prior to getting the account since your CC history is new, new, new!

The word "distributor" definitely sounds like you should have a business CC vs a personal CC for these type of large purchases. IMO, I believe if you continue with this pattern of spend (especially since AmX already has 👀 on you), your purchases will continue to be declined or worse yet--a CLD could possibly be in store. Just my 2cents. 

Yes, I agree with everyone else that AmX doesnt know you or your history so decreasing your spend drastically until they learn whether your habits will turn out good, bad or ugly is the way to handle this until your card is 12 months old.

As others have said, time and patience are on your side. 

GL2U

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 11 of 18
NRB525
Super Contributor

@elixerin wrote:

Appreciate the quick reply K,

reported income to AMEX is 308k

as for existing aged accounts that's a nope. In November 2019 my TCL was $2000 with 1 year history (2 TL's, no loans)

the November AMEX revolver approval for 4k was double my current reported TCL and now 12k since Jan was my highest line  by 2-4x other two, i just got approved for freedom at 22.5k so we are getting there...

no negatives 

OP if I recall your earlier posts correctly, you purchased airline tickets for several family members, as one of your larger purchases.  If I got that wrong, apologies. 

With a new $22k Freedom, that indicates you have good relations with Chase.  Maybe set the AMEX cards aside for a while, except for small charges, to let that algorithm catch its breath?

The six months advice sounds familiar, sounds like a necessary planning period. 

AMEX also has a big red banner when you log in on a PC to your account. With the Coronavirus concerns, the next few months are not a good time to talk to any CSR for these questions. 

In answer to your original question, 6 months. Let it be.  Credit is a marathon. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not trying to pile on here or seem like a jerk but... This is the third topic in a week I've seen just like this

The answer here is pretty obvious, and amex already gave it to you. 

You had one card for 2k for a year, and get a card from them and immediately swipe 30k on it, it doesn't matter what your score or your reported income is that's going to make anyone nervous. I'm honestly surprised it even let you spend that much out of the gate usually people get locked down way before those numbers. Use common sense here, amex is looking at this wondering if this person has all of this income why did they only have 2k in limit before, and why are they swiping thousands on this card all of a sudden what's going on.

Amex is built on formulas and patterns, and analysis, they already gave you the answer just sounds like you didn't like it, give them time like they said 6 months of consistent and slightly ascending use and they will get used to you and back off.

"Charge card" or "npsl" does not mean you can just swipe unlimited money on the card, it means your limit is built on a relationship once you show the ability to pay large amounts monthly this will stop, gradually spend higher amounts each month and your "limit" will get raised.

Credit is a creditors sandbox and you can only play there as long as they want you and on their terms ... Nobody is entitled to anything... Good luck

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think others here have hit the nail on the head but wanted to chime in as well. It's probably best to treat an Amex charge card identical to how you'd treat a new credit card with a conservative bank for those first six months to a year. When I got my Gold, I essentially ran every day spend through it and nothing more. If I knew I was going to make a purchase that was out of the ordinary, I simply used a different card. Even if it didn't accumulate rewards as well. After that first year of history with them, I've never even needed to think about my spending limit on my Gold because it far surpasses what I would ever want to spend now.

I think the credit limit on your Chase Freedom will help too, for this issue and in the future. As long as you treat it well lenders will see you're responsible with higher limits and feel a lot more comfortable. 

Message 14 of 18
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Apparently you are still not understanding  that Am3x has you under a microscope from your out of the norm spend pattern. Its only been 4 months since you have been a member so you still need the 6 months to to at least let them get used to you. I think they saw you amassing huge spend and not paying anything until statement cut and its a pattern they apparently arent comfortable with. 

Instead of trying to buy everything under the sun at once, try some moderation it might help. I hope the best for you, i could only wish to have your ability to buy and pay such high amounts Smiley Wink. Stay safe and clean Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 18
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

God help me if I set off a firestorm, as that is NOT my intent.

But it sure sounds as though this young fellow has been trying to run massive business expenses through his personal cards under the misunderstanding that AMEX/Chase will allow folks to roll up large amounts routinely, regardless of the charge types.

What's more, I've seen him list his income at $308k, which is about $200k (at best) after taxes (assuming he's a single earner at 19). No one runs tens of thousands through credit cards in a month with that post-tax income unless they're living 24/7/365 on the road with almost no fixed expenses.

Yes, he needs to be patient, but he should also be VERY careful about how he is using his credit right now. That's a friendly suggestion meant to help, not criticize.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 16 of 18
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

I've been an AMEX Gold Card holder continuously since Feb. 1980, that's 40 years.  Besides the Gold card I have an ancient Platinum Optima (their original revolver ca 1990) that has a $62.4k credit line, I just got a replacement Optima card last week good until 12/24.  I've never missed a payment on any of my accounts and often go months without charging much, and then may travel and charge $20-$30k in a couple of days in a foreign country.  Have never heard a peep from AMEX and I rarely call them, the arrangement is just working in the background, but that's due in large part of a solid 40 year history with them.  You cannot produce history out of a hat, it has to occur naturally.  The OP's charging behavior as a new customer would raise any creditor's curiosity, certainly AMEX's.  Strategy: Don't do anything crazy, be patient and let time work for you.  That goes DOUBLE for any AMEX product.

Message 17 of 18
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

40 year history, wow! Wont see that anymoreSmiley Wink

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.