for a good mix of credit?
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: how many store cards...

errymay wrote:
for a good mix of credit?

One is plenty if all you're concerned with is mix.  But I would also say don't get a store card just for the mix.  If you want one, get one you'll use and that will give you some decent rewards and/or discounts and/or 0% financing deals.
Message 2 of 14
armywifey85
Regular Contributor

As many as you like lol I got like four . macys for the rewards, bloomies , Target don't really like em that much so its about to be buried. But my best store card is Military Star with interest rate 10% its the best store card I have ! Most of the store cards are on steroids ya know . So get ones that u will use and pif when the bill comes in. 
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

$ majors, 4 store and 3 gas... the store are good for anchoring a CR (no fees)

3 store cards, 1 gas and 1 Major are now in the freezer - will get used about every 6 months... gives anice cushion for overall util.
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree there is nothing wrong with having as many as you like/need/want.  If the question is, what is the number of store cards you need in order to help your mix of credit, I'm sticking by my previous answer.  One is sufficient for that purpose.

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting post. I agree with cheddar(I seem to be doing a lot of that nowadays. lol)

One is enough. More than that is just plain fun...for the rewards, sales, and special discounts they offer.

It's funny...but I had always considered my gas card(Chevron/Texaco) as a store card and treated it as such. But I pulled my EXP cr this morning from my cms, and found out I was wrong! It's reporting like a credit card! It says: Credit Card - Revolving.

On the other hand, my true store cards...Penny's, V.S. BB, etc report: Revolving - charge account. Learn something every day. Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@armywifey85 wrote:
As many as you like lol I got like four . macys for the rewards, bloomies , Target don't really like em that much so its about to be buried. But my best store card is Military Star with interest rate 10% its the best store card I have ! Most of the store cards are on steroids ya know . So get ones that u will use and pif when the bill comes in.

I agree with paying off the store card in full if at all possible because the APR's can be stupid. I just paid 140 dollars to Target to get it down to a zero balance on a 200 dollar limit card. This looks good when they consider me for their little 200 dollar increase, but moreso for a potential upgrade to a Target Visa Card.
Message 7 of 14
armywifey85
Regular Contributor

Oh Target likes when you charge and pif ... you'll getta 300 increase at 90 days or so I got mine at like 3rd statement. But always pif with these cards or like twice a month to pay off faster interest rate is high use them . The Target Visa is on steroids also high interest rates etc... If I use a Major card I use one with lower interest unless I pif..
Message 8 of 14
armywifey85
Regular Contributor

Does anyone know when Chase is rolling out that Aafes Military Visa or Mastercard I've heard there gonna offer like low interest rates like the Military Star Card? It's a deal through aafes with Chase .
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

armywifey85 wrote:
Oh Target likes when you charge and pif ... you'll getta 300 increase at 90 days or so I got mine at like 3rd statement. But always pif with these cards or like twice a month to pay off faster interest rate is high use them . The Target Visa is on steroids also high interest rates etc... If I use a Major card I use one with lower interest unless I pif..

Not everyone gets their Target CLI at 90 days.  Some of us have had the card 6 months or more and still have gotten no luv, even after charging and PIF, charging and PIF.

Target is completely unpredictable when it comes to CLI and graduation.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.