Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to use cards in Mexico?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: how to use cards in Mexico?

@Anonymous wrote:

It's been a LONG time since I was in Cozumel - but many places just took American Cash - (actually they wanted it)    The best thing I did was get travelers checks and have them converted to cash down there.   I did use my VISA at a couple of places - restaurants off resort - and VISA did the conversion and there was a small fee for it.   Overall it was fine.  

Mind you - that was MANY years ago tho.

Yes, working travelers checks suggests some time ago!   While you can still get lucky, people are finding them harder and harder to use

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Debit card use is risky anywhere, especially on the road. KrebsOnSecurity.com recently ran an article regarding numerous ATMs in Mexico having skimmers on them, including at well known resorts. Credit card is far safer than debit.

With debit, one can come home and find their bank account overdrawn. Sure, the bank will restore the money (eventually; could be within hours or many days depending on bank and situation), but will the bank also reimburse all the fees charged by outside parties, such as credit cards, cell phone bill, etc... not necessarily. To digress, this is something to keep in mind when using billpay services. While many promise to reimburse overdraft fees to some extent, but won't cover other types of fees nor deal with other problems, such as having a card closed or cell phone service cut off, due to being overdrawn.

In my experience with various credit cards back in my better credit days, Amex was the most reliable abroad - no need to call in advance, never a block, and widely accepted in tourist areas. For places that don't accept Amex, one should carry a couple of different VISA / MC cards to play it safe in case one or more is blocked, skimmed, etc. As for what card issuers are best, I'm not sure it matters as much as it seems. My hunch, based in part on personal experience and reading the forums, is one's credit profile and level of actual usage (CL alone isn't a good indicator) plays a role in whether the issuer will take the extra risk and allow some questionable transactions through that they wouldn't for other cardholders.

Message 12 of 20
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
1. They accept credit cards in many places, but taxis are only cash, I would recommend you change your cash into pesos because if you pay in american dollars you Will be paying more, because they took the us dollars bellow real value.

2. You can change your us dollars everywhere, there are many money exchange places Who pay the real value for us dollars

3. Contrary to what has been said mexico have many years with chip technology even before United State, so almost every stores have chip terminals

I'm from mexico and I have been there last month. cozumel is one of the safest City in mexico, but take care
I hope this help

+1

Not all chip cards are chip/pin. I'm from Mexico also. Once in a restaurant with friends all our mexican cards had chip, but only mine used a pin, so they ask me to go to the terminal to input the pin, my friends signed the ticket at the table.

OP, have a great trip.

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Krebs article was mostly talking about free-standing, non-bank owned ATMs. Which aren't a good idea to use anywhere, not just Mexico. When I was in PV earlier this year I stuck to ATMs inside banks and didn't have problems. Schwab also refunded all the fees which was nice. Cat Very Happy

Also, I found that even if the store took cards almost no one bothered, even at tourist type places. I kinda went off the beaten path a bit so that might be why.

Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@newhis wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
1. They accept credit cards in many places, but taxis are only cash, I would recommend you change your cash into pesos because if you pay in american dollars you Will be paying more, because they took the us dollars bellow real value.

2. You can change your us dollars everywhere, there are many money exchange places Who pay the real value for us dollars

3. Contrary to what has been said mexico have many years with chip technology even before United State, so almost every stores have chip terminals

I'm from mexico and I have been there last month. cozumel is one of the safest City in mexico, but take care
I hope this help

+1

Not all chip cards are chip/pin. I'm from Mexico also. Once in a restaurant with friends all our mexican cards had chip, but only mine used a pin, so they ask me to go to the terminal to input the pin, my friends signed the ticket at the table.

OP, have a great trip.

Oh interesting, I thought Mexico used PIN too. No portable readers for restaurants there I take it?

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Of course they use portable terminals in restaurants but only chip + signature
Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

His post sounded like they didn't. Otherwise he wouldn't have needed to go somewhere else in the restaurant to put it in.

Message 17 of 20
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

His post sounded like they didn't. Otherwise he wouldn't have needed to go somewhere else in the restaurant to put it in.

Some restaurants don't have portable terminals, in those I have to go to the terminal to put my pin but only with my Mexican chip/pin card (HSBC bank). I can use other mexican chip/signature cards (Banamex) without going to the terminal to enter the pin (and all USA chip cards). Most restaurants now have portable terminals and I guess that on tourist cities almost all should have them.

Again, if I use my chip/pin card I need to put my pin in, if I use a chip card without the pin feature, I just sign. None of my USA cards have pin but all have chip. If I use those in Mexico I need to sign.

I hope this is more clear.

Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@newhis wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Some restaurants don't have portable terminals, in those I have to go to the terminal to put my pin but only with my Mexican chip/pin card (HSBC bank). I can use other mexican chip/signature cards (Banamex) without going to the terminal to enter the pin (and all USA chip cards). Most restaurants now have portable terminals and I guess that on tourist cities almost all should have them.

Again, if I use my chip/pin card I need to put my pin in, if I use a chip card without the pin feature, I just sign. None of my USA cards have pin but all have chip. If I use those in Mexico I need to sign.

I hope this is more clear.

I've known about the US card thing for a while, but the Mexican card situation is interesting. I thought they were all PIN for some reason. Is HSBC the only bank in Mexico that does PIN or are there others too?

Message 19 of 20
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've known about the US card thing for a while, but the Mexican card situation is interesting. I thought they were all PIN for some reason. Is HSBC the only bank in Mexico that does PIN or are there others too?

I don't know if there is other bank that have Chip/PIN. I have Banamex with Chip and signature. The receipt from the terminal say 'signed electronically' or something like that and there is no 'sign line', if I pay with Banamex then there is the line to sign.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.