Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hypothetical situation question

tag
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

Re: hypothetical situation question

I've had no issues, but had a friend who was cheated that way by a server and he went back to the restaurant and raised hell.

I don't even factor in a tip to be added to the bill. I keep some cash on me and write "cash tip" in that field and hand it to the server. I don't eat out much, for dietary reasons, and so it works for me. And for those take out places that have the tip field, I always write "carry out". Lol! Seriously...

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 11 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

is there an official guide somewhere on the internet that teaches us how to notate things on a receipt that will help prevent most of these waitstaff undesirable tactics?

Message 12 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've noticed that the counter service places that switched to chip now require the tip to get put in before the card's run and seemingly can't be changed after. Those places have all put in $0.00 though. Maybe we'll end up having to put in the tip on the check before giving the card to the waiter. (I don't really think we'll do the portable card machine thing as much as that would be preferrable for various reasons.)

Message 13 of 47
tacpoly
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Let's say I ate at a restaurant and didn't fill out the tip and total for the bill, but I signed it, and some worker there decided to fill in those sections without my knowledge. Would I do a chargeback in this case? I just thought about it because I usually never put anything in the tip or total section.

So does that mean you usually don't tip when you eat at a restaurant?

Message 14 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tacpoly wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Let's say I ate at a restaurant and didn't fill out the tip and total for the bill, but I signed it, and some worker there decided to fill in those sections without my knowledge. Would I do a chargeback in this case? I just thought about it because I usually never put anything in the tip or total section.

Same question I have.  Hope that's not the case.  Maybe the tip is in cash.

Message 15 of 47
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

is there an official guide somewhere on the internet that teaches us how to notate things on a receipt that will help prevent most of these waitstaff undesirable tactics?

Sorry, but what do you need guidance on?

Fill out the reciept completely, leave no room for anyone to change any numbers or fill anything in, and if they do, you'll almost certainly be notified by your issuer and the problem will be fixed (as stated, with probably no effort from you). While this issue does occur, it's not like it happens every day to everyone who eats out, so not sure why you are stressing about something that hasn't even happened to you yet!

While some waitstaff are dishonest, and may try these tactics, it's harder to get away with these things in the wake of SMS alerts/smartphones/just general connectivity. Also, most people are essentially honest and good and aren't going to try to do this, either because they are honest and good or they simply feel they'll get caught.

Alternatively, just leave a cash tip and avoid the whole problem.

Message 16 of 47
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anomalous wrote:

I've had no issues, but had a friend who was cheated that way by a server and he went back to the restaurant and raised hell.

I don't even factor in a tip to be added to the bill. I keep some cash on me and write "cash tip" in that field and hand it to the server. I don't eat out much, for dietary reasons, and so it works for me. And for those take out places that have the tip field, I always write "carry out". Lol! Seriously...

I take it to the establishment first.  Have had no problems with them refunding my card.

Signature needs updating
Message 17 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Fill out the reciept completely, leave no room for anyone to change any numbers or fill anything in, and if they do, you'll almost certainly be notified by your issuer and the problem will be fixed (as stated, with probably no effort from you). While this issue does occur, it's not like it happens every day to everyone who eats out, so not sure why you are stressing about something that hasn't even happened to you yet!

While some waitstaff are dishonest, and may try these tactics, it's harder to get away with these things in the wake of SMS alerts/smartphones/just general connectivity. Also, most people are essentially honest and good and aren't going to try to do this, either because they are honest and good or they simply feel they'll get caught.

I don't know about others, but when I dine out, my card only shows the actual amount of the bill for several days. This means that the alert to my phone would not help in this situation, because it will only tell me the amount of the food cost. The tip only shows up when the transaction finalizes and posts.

Message 18 of 47
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't know about others, but when I dine out, my card only shows the actual amount of the bill for several days. This means that the alert to my phone would not help in this situation, because it will only tell me the amount of the food cost. The tip only shows up when the transaction finalizes and posts.

Right, but most issuers will alert you if a charge seems "suspicious"; i.e. the tip adds $100 to the bill or something.

Message 19 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@tacpoly wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Same question I have.  Hope that's not the case.  Maybe the tip is in cash.

Hopefully, this thread won't devolve onto the etiquette of tipping. It seems to be a hot button topic with a lot of people. I'm going to assume that the OP either left cash. 

Message 20 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.