Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hypothetical situation question

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: hypothetical situation question

When leaving tips, I always end them in .01.  For instance, if I'm tipping, say, $20, rather than write simply "20," I'll write "20.01."  Not sure why exactly, but when leaving a cash tip, I was taught to leave an extra penny as an acknowledgement of exemplary service.  So, my preference for ending in .01 is to honor that tradition, and hopefully cause a moment of "pause" for any unscrupulous waiter/waitress entertaining thoughts of adding a few zeros.

Message 31 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

is there an official guide somewhere on the internet that teaches us how to notate things on a receipt that will help prevent most of these waitstaff undesirable tactics?

I dunno? But my momma' taught me a trick and I've never been scammed. I always write the tip, and total in. Then by my signature, I write in the total again and circle it.

Message 32 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@tacpoly wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Let's say I ate at a restaurant and didn't fill out the tip and total for the bill, but I signed it, and some worker there decided to fill in those sections without my knowledge. Would I do a chargeback in this case? I just thought about it because I usually never put anything in the tip or total section.

So does that mean you usually don't tip when you eat at a restaurant?

Same question I have.  Hope that's not the case.  Maybe the tip is in cash.

Hopefully, this thread won't devolve onto the etiquette of tipping. It seems to be a hot button topic with a lot of people. I'm going to assume that the OP either left cash. 

thank you. its not FSR for sure, nor conducive to discussion of topic. its NOT relevant.  only thing I hope for is that people try to use coupons when possible! lol

Message 33 of 47
Open123
Super Contributor

@creditguy wrote:
Anytime I go to a restaurant, I've always been more concerned about the waitstaff skimming my card. Never gave much thought to the tip section on a receipt, but I guess I will now.

For me, an unauthorized charge is much easier to spot than a few dollars on a long list of dining charges.  One of the reasons I prefer Amex is their listing of the "tip" amount for many restaurants, which Visa/MC charges do not.  

And, for business dining, there's so many charges on a given year that it's virtually impossible to go through all of them to ensure nothing was padded on the tip section. I'll usually flag and review any tip without my customary ending in .01. 

Message 34 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know of three resaturant chains here in New England that have started using Ziosks. I can pay right at the table with tip and get a printed and/or emailed receipt. Server never touches my card. I love them as they can also send requests for the server, reorder drinks and even order desserts.

ziosk.jpg

Message 35 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I know of three resaturant chains here in New England that have started using Ziosks. I can pay right at the table with tip and get a printed and/or emailed receipt. Server never touches my card. I love them as they can also send requests for the server, reorder drinks and even order desserts.

ziosk.jpg

I've never heard of these! It's kind of nifty, although it seems like the kiosk might break the ambiance.

Message 36 of 47
Sharingan
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

ziosk.jpg

I've seen these contraptions at the Chili's locations around here, and I think they are absolutely disgusting! The amount of grease and food remnants left on them from previous guests was enough to keep me from using them. I would also be less inclined to leave a generous tip if I have to input my own orders and refills. 

Regardless, I do agree that they alleviate concerns over dishonest staff as it relates to payment. Fortunately, I haven't had to deal with amoral staff on very many occasions.

Though, I am typically opposed to any devices that are meant to reduce a workforce (like self-checkouts).

Message 37 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree...they do look nasty sometimes. I usually put it on the dividing shelf or on the seat so that I don't have to see it. I typically only use it to pay.

Message 38 of 47
red259
Super Contributor

I would absolutely dispute for the overage on the tip. I never leve these lines blank either I am filling out a tip or in places (for excample when getting take out) where a tip is not appropriate I put a line through it. No way am I going to ok a charge where someone is stealing from me by adding or filling in the tip line on their own. I also fill out the second copy for myself (especially if I am in a bar or something and have been drinking), although it usually gets thrown out within a day or two after I check my account to see how much the charge was. .  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 39 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Let's say I ate at a restaurant and didn't fill out the tip and total for the bill, but I signed it, and some worker there decided to fill in those sections without my knowledge. Would I do a chargeback in this case? I just thought about it because I usually never put anything in the tip or total section.

so... you just give hand them credit card, they come back with receipt and your card, and you just leave without signing the receipt or leaving tip?

Read too quickly? And I leave cash tips.

Message 40 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.