Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i am just curious about apping

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The pressure to app

It works for me to have two posts. Slightly different take. Also, good for the newbies here to read. Smiley Happy

Message 81 of 145
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kind of like I said in the other thread, to me it makes sense having more than 1 card for a given category of savings. You never know when your main one might have it's benefits reduced or eliminated, that bank might fail, you might try to use that card to pay and there is an issue with the lender's card system at that particular time, etc

Many many potential reasons why to me it makes perfect sense having overlaps between various reward cards.

Having said that, I don't feel any pressure to apply for things just because they are offering a bonus or what have you. Generally, I have a plan of the remaining cards I intend to acquire (and reasoning behind it) and am not interested in anything else.

Message 82 of 145
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Kind of like I said in the other thread, to me it makes sense having more than 1 card for a given category of savings. You never know when your main one might have it's benefits reduced or eliminated, that bank might fail, you might try to use that card to pay and there is an issue with the lender's card system at that particular time, etc

Many many potential reasons why to me it makes perfect sense having overlaps between various reward cards.

Having said that, I don't feel any pressure to apply for things just because they are offering a bonus or what have you. Generally, I have a plan of the remaining cards I intend to acquire (and reasoning behind it) and am not interested in anything else.

I think some overlap can make sense, and like you said, cards can change at any point. But I think it's important to balance that with not racking up too many cards that later end up redundant/sockdrawered just because of the relatively small chance of a nerf (which you can always deal with when it actually happens, i.e. if your Marvel were nerfed, worry about a new dining card at that time, not before).

Message 83 of 145
redpat
Senior Contributor

Blispay and Marvel cards are pretty ordinary and with no sign-up bonuses, oops $25 and 6 months 0%, whoohoo, that's a real life changer, lol!

Appers are a creatures of habit, there isn't a card they don't like.....

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 84 of 145
Anonymous
Not applicable

If some people app for new cards because of pressure....they need to re-evaluate their managment of credit IMHO...because too much of anything is never good. Sometimes people need to wrecked their credit and learn the hard way. I do admit, it's the rush/chase that gets me. Getting a new card w/a nice signup bonus is about as exciting as a grand slam at the bottom of the 9th inning to win the game....And the banks are good at enticing the public with those offers Smiley Happy

Message 85 of 145
Aahz
Established Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

This is kind of similar to xterror's thought yesterday, about app addiction. How much do you guys think the "peer pressure" effect with new cards makes people app for things they really don't need? I am not trying to start a war here, I just find it interesting to see just how many people jump on the "new card" bandwagons, even if the card seems largely not useful for the person (or at least not so incredibly useful that it warrants an immediate app).

The latest example is of course the Marvel card. I eat out a lot, honestly, but still couldn't justify the new account hit. Why? Discover is doing 5% dining now anyway, so it's not like I'd have any reason to use it until at least the end of June. But the bigger reason is simplicity, I guess. It's just not enough of a gain for something I spend maybe, maybe $200 a month on. We're talking about a couple extra dollars in exchange for yet another new account hit. Besides that, I'm striving to eat out less, not more, and the "oh look, special 3% dining card" would probably just encourage more eating out and spending.

Of course, everyone is an individual, but it seems many who jumped on with the Marvel already have an AARP or Sam's, etc, which give you basically the same return. Like I've mentioned before, there's only so much it can make sense to dilute your spend. While that threshold varies by individual, I don't see much point in carrying two 3% dining cards that have no cap. Of course nobody knew the Marvel card was coming out, but the point is, if you constantly adjust your portfolio for every trend, you are really setting yourself back over and over. Credit bureaus only update monthly, so a garden stint of a few weeks doesn't do much. You need long term periods without apps for anything to really change.

This isn't unique to the Marvel card whatsoever though. A lot of people jumped on Blispay despite already having a 2% card or even two.

This isn't a knock against anyone, and again, not trying to start a fight. I'm just curious if anyone ever regrets jumping on the bandwagons. I had some light temptation for the Marvel but I honestly just don't need it. It can be hard to not jump on every decent card that  comes along, but in the long run, you will continually set yourself back.

Anyone have any thoughts on the "bandwagon effect?"

I guess I'm the only person seeing the contradiction in the OP.

If apping for a new card "will continually set yourself back" by dropping your FICO score then what, exactly, are you using your FICO score for?  Because if you're not applying for new credit, then your FICO score is both meaningless and useless.

Maybe it's just my file, but I've never seen more than an 8 point drop in scores because of a new account & inquiry.  And each of those has been offset a month later with a 5-10 point increase as a result of the lower utilization provided by the additional available credit.

And the Marvel card won't "dilute my spend" on the AARP card. Instead the AARP card will be SD'd in favor of the Marvel card which has SO MANY MORE bonus categories in which I regularly spend and no minimum redemption.  It's the AARP card I regret, not the far superior Marvel card.

Same with Blispay and DC.  Since the Blispay has ongoing 0% NO PAYMENT & no interest financing in addition to 2% cashback (with no minimum to redeem)  it's completely replacing my DC.

Both of these recent FOTWs are SIGNIFICANT upgrades over similar cards that were previously available.

Message 86 of 145
Anonymous
Not applicable

Given how many heavy appers have multiple 2% cash cards or multiple 3% dining cards (without great bonuses), having multiple threads on the same topic seems pretty harmless.

I don't think it's peer pressure. I think it's more the need for excitement...the need to be always changing something in one's credit lineup and to have something to talk about. It could be apping, getting totally unneeded APR reductions (I'm guilty of this), moving CLs around with no real aim, or closing cards to allegedly simplify things. To adapt Blaise Pascal to MF, I'd say that many credit woes result from members' inability to sit quietly in the garden.

Message 87 of 145
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

First let me say that I was a lurker here long before I registered and started posting...and I use to be the person you're describing.  After a long period of being told "no" in regards to credit apps, when I finally started seeing "approved" it just made me want to keep going with it.  I acquired a lot of cards that I didn't really need and a lot of overlap.  At one point I had a Walmart and Sam's Club store card which made absolutely no sense.  Either card can be used at both places respectively...and knowing that still didn't stop me from applying because I knew that Sync finally loved me and I was going to ride that train until it derailed.  Unfortunately the train didn't...so, like a fool, I kept going.  I ended up with several cards like P66 and BP card (who needs 2 fuel cards)?  I app'd for JCP when I don't even shop there all that often, I could have easily just use a regular VS/MC for the very few purchases that I make there...but nope, had to have that card to.

I think you get the idea of where I'm going with this.  I did a lot of foolish things during my rebuild because I was addicted to seeing "approved".  The "Approval" section of the forum didn't help either...it actually encouraged my reckless behavior because I'd see others getting approved with similar backs ground to that of my own and I'd tell myself "yep, I can get that one too"...and I did.  Now fast forward a few years and I've became a little more responsible.  I'm sure you've heard the saying "hindsight is 20/20".  Well that was true for me.  I look back now and realize how foolish it was to make some of the decisions I've made.  But I can't change the past...can only learn from it.  I've limited my apps to things I truly want.  I still have some the cards that came from my foolishness because I just don't see the need to cancel them.  I'm sure if they don't get proper usage then they'll eventually fade into the sunset without any involvement from me.

But I can say for certain, the old me would have jumped on that Marvel card soo fast (along with PayPal MC, Ebates, Gap Visa, and anything else Sync backed) especially knowing the love that Sync has shown me and being able to meet the credit criteria needed for approval.  But now, I just kinda sit back and enjoy others being approved for the things they want.  They're happiness and satisfaction is good enough for me...I'll enjoy the feeling of being approved vicariosuly through them.    Smiley Happy

Message 88 of 145
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's tempting because it looks cool, and I don't have a dining card in my arsenal. I haven't apped for it, (not saying I never will), simply because I eat at restaurants infrequently, and when I do it's the kind that have a drive-thru and the menu on the wall. Also, I have PenFed in the crosshairs and I don't want to risk jeopardizing that.

Message 89 of 145
red259
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

This is kind of similar to xterror's thought yesterday, about app addiction. How much do you guys think the "peer pressure" effect with new cards makes people app for things they really don't need? I am not trying to start a war here, I just find it interesting to see just how many people jump on the "new card" bandwagons, even if the card seems largely not useful for the person (or at least not so incredibly useful that it warrants an immediate app).

The latest example is of course the Marvel card. I eat out a lot, honestly, but still couldn't justify the new account hit. Why? Discover is doing 5% dining now anyway, so it's not like I'd have any reason to use it until at least the end of June. But the bigger reason is simplicity, I guess. It's just not enough of a gain for something I spend maybe, maybe $200 a month on. We're talking about a couple extra dollars in exchange for yet another new account hit. Besides that, I'm striving to eat out less, not more, and the "oh look, special 3% dining card" would probably just encourage more eating out and spending.

Of course, everyone is an individual, but it seems many who jumped on with the Marvel already have an AARP or Sam's, etc, which give you basically the same return. Like I've mentioned before, there's only so much it can make sense to dilute your spend. While that threshold varies by individual, I don't see much point in carrying two 3% dining cards that have no cap. Of course nobody knew the Marvel card was coming out, but the point is, if you constantly adjust your portfolio for every trend, you are really setting yourself back over and over. Credit bureaus only update monthly, so a garden stint of a few weeks doesn't do much. You need long term periods without apps for anything to really change.

This isn't unique to the Marvel card whatsoever though. A lot of people jumped on Blispay despite already having a 2% card or even two.

This isn't a knock against anyone, and again, not trying to start a fight. I'm just curious if anyone ever regrets jumping on the bandwagons. I had some light temptation for the Marvel but I honestly just don't need it. It can be hard to not jump on every decent card that  comes along, but in the long run, you will continually set yourself back.

Anyone have any thoughts on the "bandwagon effect?"

Maybe someone new to credit does that, but I could care less what cards someone else had and I am not influenced to get a card because other people do. Every card I have gotten was something that fit into my needs. I may have learned about cards here but if someone is just apping for whatever card someone else has without looking to see if it fits into their needs then they really aren't properly managing their credit. I didn't even know about this marvel card and only vaguely aware of the blisplay thing but neither is appealing at all to me. I'm sure there are some people who were starting out who got talked into getting a card and did so when it wasn't a good fit for them, but that isn't really giving in to pressure vs relying on people who gave them bad advice which is a different situation in my mind.    

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 90 of 145
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.