Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i need help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

i need help

i have many credit cards listed on my credit reports as "inactive in good standing" as far back as 1997. would it be better for my credit rating to close them and only have the few I currently use listed...or, if becuase i have had them for so long and they are in good standing i should keep them open?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: i need help

stephabloom wrote:
i have many credit cards listed on my credit reports as "inactive in good standing" as far back as 1997. would it be better for my credit rating to close them and only have the few I currently use listed...or, if becuase i have had them for so long and they are in good standing i should keep them open?

As long as you know where they are and keep track of them so that you don't get any fraudulent charges why mess with them.  I would go out and rotate them just to bring them back to active status.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with Brammy. Use them occasionally...maybe 2 or 3 times/year, then pif and put them away for the next go round
Message 3 of 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

They are actually HELPING you. Don't close them, unless you have a very, very good, well thought-out reason for doing so.

Check out fused's link for closing cards:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=creditcard&thread.id=16915
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 5
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

If they are close to 10 years old from the last activity, check with the issuer before you use them. They might try to pull a hard inq on your CR before they let you start using the card again. Hard Inq could cost you points on your CR temporarily. Check with the issuer and start using the cards. No reason to close the cards. They are helping you.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.