cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

if denied a cli from cap one can they close my account?

tag
LindaLu
Regular Contributor

if denied a cli from cap one can they close my account?

I read on a couple forums that people asked cap one for a cli and was denied and then they go to use their card and it is declined and they find out the  card got closed.

I wonder if maybe their cards weren't being used and that is wny they got closed when the rep they talked to noticed this as I have hard of this happening when there is no activity on a card and it gets manually reviewed for something.  or maybe their account had adverse information that the rep felt the need to close it..I don't know but I want to call and ask for a cli and I am afraid they may close mine too if denied.. I do use my card and no adverse marks on it but these comments people made about this happening to them after they weren't denied a cli have made me hesitant to ask for a cli as cap one is my highest limit  at $2000....maybe I am just paranoid but I wanted some other opinions of whether this may happen or not..they did however give me a no hassle reward card about 6 weeks ago for $750 limit but I really actually wanted my card with a $2000 limit increased and it just never happened..

thanks for any insight

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: if denied a cli from cap one can they close my account?

They're most likely not going to give you a CLI anyway, so I doubt it is worth you asking.  Most everyone who asks for one is given a denial with the reason that Cap One doesn't allow for customer initiated CLIs.  There have been a couple people who have reported receiving small CLIs at their initiation, but it has been on Cap One's Venture card which is one of their "prime" cards. 

As for whether they will close your account.  Who knows.  What is the date of the posts you are reviewing talking about account closures.  If those posts are dated right in the middle of the credit crunch, you might take that into consideration.  If you don't have any baddies on your report, haven't gone on an app spree and have a ton of inquiries, and generall don't look overextended, I doubt they would close your account for requesting a CLI.  I requested one in November and my account wasn't closed, but the request was denied (of course that is anecdotal).

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
vish1
Valued Contributor

Re: if denied a cli from cap one can they close my account?

@Walt_K wrote:

They're most likely not going to give you a CLI anyway, so I doubt it is worth you asking.  Most everyone who asks for one is given a denial with the reason that Cap One doesn't allow for customer initiated CLIs.  There have been a couple people who have reported receiving small CLIs at their initiation, but it has been on Cap One's Venture card which is one of their "prime" cards. 

As for whether they will close your account.  Who knows.  What is the date of the posts you are reviewing talking about account closures.  If those posts are dated right in the middle of the credit crunch, you might take that into consideration.  If you don't have any baddies on your report, haven't gone on an app spree and have a ton of inquiries, and generall don't look overextended, I doubt they would close your account for requesting a CLI.  I requested one in November and my account wasn't closed, but the request was denied (of course that is anecdotal).

+1

There is no way they are gona close your account unless you got something really terrible on your report.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.