cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is Discover really this strict/stingy?

tag
selena
Contributor

Re: is Discover really this strict/stingy?

@Anonymous wrote:
Yes Discover went straight to my SD when I got it. It's my lowest limit and they would not give me the promo APR. I may just end up closing it so I don't have to manage it.

Btw, does anyone else have troubles with their website? Using Chrome a bunch of the links are dead and it has a bunch of errors. It's difficult to navigate.

I'm using Safari and tried to pull up my recent statement and all the links and text overlapped and I couldn't read anything either.

As of March 2016:
Equifax 735
TransUnion 702
Experian 731
Message 11 of 24
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

My best friend has a 15k limit, so they can be giving...  Sure there are alot higher limits out there as well

Correct, mine is currently 19.5K and there are others with higher CLs.

Message 12 of 24
HiLine
Blogger

Quite opposite. Mine went from 2k to 12.5 in 2 years. No hard inquiry whatsoever.
Message 13 of 24
Goblin
Regular Contributor

I applied for my Discover IT card in may, about 6 months ago, and received 1500 initial.    I've been doing alot of holiday shopping so my utilization is about 90% and I woke up today with a $500 auto cli.   Really strange but im not complaining.

Starting Score: Ex: 495 Eq: 492 Tu: 497
Current Score: Ex: 708 Eq: 716 Tu: 710

Message 14 of 24
Bunnylocks
New Contributor

They have been very generous to me as well. Only had the card a year, and they approved a HP increase a few months ago from 1.5k to 4k. Shortly after they auto increased me to 13.4k. I plan on asking for an APR reduction once my 0% runs out. I've always thought they were very conservative, but they are now my highest credit line. My over credit utilization has been anywhere for 20-60% this year. 

Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

i got mine yesterday and have $5500 CL.  My fico is average 723-739.

Message 16 of 24
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

it's my lowest limit card (1k) and CLI was denied

I guess there's no point in using it with such a low limit since I already have other reward cards including Sallie Mae

off to the SD you go!

One-shot answer: No, they're not. I started with them small but It grew with me.

More details here: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Discover-It-No-CLI-after-3-Months/td-p/3468139/page/4

Message 17 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

discover been good to me even when i don't use it almost at all, started with 3k and every 3 months auto cli by 250 or so untill one day after i made a nice deposit into their savings account i was auto cli to $6,600, its not the biggest line i got, but surely isn't the smallet either Smiley Happy

oh and the account is barely over a year old

Message 18 of 24
SGR
Contributor

I suppose this thread is an excellent example of how our individual experiences with lenders can vary greatly, regardless of similarities with our credit score and income. CapOne is another lender that is often called stingy by members here, especially in regards to CLI's, but I have personally found the opposite to be true. I have received four CLI's on two cards in the past three years. My father has also received two CLI's in the past year. Both of us also received a CLI that was at least 3x our previous limit. All of these CLI's were done through the LUV button and not the EO, either.

Message 19 of 24
One7
Valued Contributor

Started with a $1400 CL and its still the same with no option to even try online. Plus their fraud department is horrible. I used my entire limit every month and always paid in full and even tried leaving a balance twice and still nothing. Now I put about a $100 charge on it monthly and that is all. I'll most likely close is soon, for me just like most others its terrible and not worth my time when all my other cards have grown with me.

EX 810 EQ 805 TU 792 Diners WEMC 15k Chase United Club VS 15k | Hyatt VS 25k | Ritz VI 5k | Frdm VS 6k | CSP VS 5k | Mariott VS 6k | Amzn VS 16k Citi ExecAA WEMC 18k | TYP VS 7k | Costco VS 9k | Hilton Reserve VS 6k | Best Buy Visa 5k BofA Travel VS 30k | Cash VS 41k | Merrill+ VS 46k Barclay Rwds WMC 6k | Hawaiin WEMC 10k | JetBlue WEMC 8k | Aviator S WEMC 6k Amex Plat: NPSL | BCP 8k | SPG 3k WF Rwds VS 9k | Propel World Amex 25k | Dillards Amex 2k BBVA NBA Amex 10k Cap1 GM WEMC 8k | QS Visa 3k | Saks WEMC 9k NASA 30k Discover It 7k | US Bank Cash+ VS 15k | Flex Perks VS 20k ||| Total Rwds VS 12k | SG Rwds 11k | Walmrt MC 8k | Lowes 17k | Bowflex 9k | J Deere 15k | TJ Max 4k | Care 15k | HDepot 20k | Amzn 5k | PPal Extras 8k | Chvron 10k | Macys 15k | JCrew 18k | Marvel 8k | Stash VS 8k | Cabelas 10k | Statefarm 12k | Nordstrom Visa 10k \\\\Gardening since January////
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.