cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

it seems putting spend on AMEX card helps SUB eligibility...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

it seems putting spend on AMEX card helps SUB eligibility...

This may be already known but for the longest I have been ineligible for SUBs for AMEX cards. So recently, I have put around 1k spend between all of my Amex cards in the last month or so. This has seemed to disable the popup when I apped for the Hilton Surpass yesterday. I will check back in a week or so to confirm my SUB eligibility again.

I now have 6 AMEX cards and 5 of them I got all in a year span dating back from March last year. I do however plan to close the Everyday and the Gold later this year.

This may be YMMV thing but worth a shot if there is a SUB that interest you.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: it seems putting spend on AMEX card helps SUB eligibility...

Congrats on the Hilton bonus.

Could you list out each AMEX, month applied, whether it was given a bonus, and whether the account closed? Month closed if any?
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:
Congrats on the Hilton bonus.

Could you list out each AMEX, month applied, whether it was given a bonus, and whether the account closed? Month closed if any?

Hilton (no fee) - Approved in March 2018 - Received Bonus. (This was upgraded to the Aspire in March for 150k SUB)

Amex Bonvoy (previously SPG) - Approved In March 2018 - Received Bonus

Amex Everyday - Approved in June 2018 - Received Bonus 

Amex Gold - Approved in October 2018 - Previously denied bonus but eventually recieved it March 2019.

AMEX BBP - Approved in February 2019 - Card didn’t have a bonus but I recieved intro apr for 15 months.

Hilton Surpass - Approved in August 2019 - I should receive bonus after minimum spend.

Currently I haven’t closed any AMEX accounts to date.

Message 3 of 8
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

Also in my experience--if you have a SD'd card (in my case BCE) not getting much use with a high limit--putting huge spend on another AMEX card possibly keeps CLD from happening. I've rarely used my BCE over the last year but have been "burning up" my BBP, Gold, and SPG over the last 10 mos. and since they took a total of almost $16k from BCE to open or CLI other cards--it has remained at $23.5k with hardly any usage since April of this year. I'm guessing as long as you're showing EXTREMELY large usage on your other cards--they pretty much leave you alone.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

Also in my experience--if you have a SD'd card (in my case BCE) not getting much use with a high limit--putting huge spend on another AMEX card possibly keeps CLD from happening. I've rarely used my BCE over the last year but have been "burning up" my BBP, Gold, and SPG over the last 10 mos. and since they took a total of almost $16k from BCE to open or CLI other cards--it has remained at $23.5k with hardly any usage since April of this year. I'm guessing as long as you're showing EXTREMELY large usage on your other cards--they pretty much leave you alone.

That’s what it seems. If you don’t use your cards, they will be less likely to give you welcome offers. I think the amount of spend you put on the cards is what triggers the popup.

Message 5 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

OP I believe it's YEMV, as stated in your OP. I've had cards that have had no meaningful spend for several months and upgrades get triggered regardless.

Conversely, it doesn't hurt to place some usage if it's organic in nature depending on the card/rewards program, but not something one would be obliged to do so to trigger such an offer.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

It probably doesn't hurt to have spend, but i think the SUB ineligibility pop up is from something else. Because when I got mine on the Hilton, I had fairly decent spend on my other cards. Several months later I was eligible for the 100K SUB on the Marriot Bonvoy Biz, spend being the same as it was for the Hilton. 

Perhaps Biz cards are configured seperately? IDK.

Just recently I upgraded my BCE to the BCP, and had almost zero spend on it for several months prior to. 

Since I have 5 revolvers with Amex, I'm going to have to close one if I want a different product. Namely Delta that I have lowered to $1K CL, and only $20 monthly spend. 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It probably doesn't hurt to have spend, but i think the SUB ineligibility pop up is from something else. Because when I got mine on the Hilton, I had fairly decent spend on my other cards. Several months later I was eligible for the 100K SUB on the Marriot Bonvoy Biz, spend being the same as it was for the Hilton. 

Perhaps Biz cards are configured seperately? IDK.

Just recently I upgraded my BCE to the BCP, and had almost zero spend on it for several months prior to. 

Since I have 5 revolvers with Amex, I'm going to have to close one if I want a different product. Namely Delta that I have lowered to $1K CL, and only $20 monthly spend. 

Yea same here. I was offered the upgrade to the Aspire for 150k SUB which I took. My only spend at the time was primarily SUB spend.

Im at 6 amex card (5 revolvers and 1 charge). I think next year sometime I'll go for the Marriott Brilliant if they bring back the 100k SUB. I do have the legacy SPG but I dont want to upgrade due to not being able to downgrade back. I'm definitely closing the Gold and the ED after this BT is paid off. Its redundant to have that and the BBP. 

AMEX doesnt really have any other cards I want really. I would go for the Delta cards but to me their flights are so expensive that it isnt even worth it. To make matters worst, I'm 2 hours from a Delta HUB.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.