Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

keep getting declined for Amex CLI

tag
Agent86
New Contributor

keep getting declined for Amex CLI

i have blue cash preferred. i applied for CLI on day 61, and every three months thereafter. declined every time. most usual stated reason was that i had too many liabilities in relation to my known assets. 

i suspect this has something to do with my LARGE student loans ($250k range--ivy league law school, really bad financial decision in retrospect)

my consumer debt is relatively low (11% of total credit, roughly), and salary is over $100k.  i pay off my amex in full between 3 and 5 times per month. 

is there really anything i can do?

Citi Platinum Dividend $34,600 line, 14.2%%
Bank of America Platinum Rewards, $85,000 line, 13.99%
Discover It $50,000 line, 20.9%
Amex Blue Cash Preferred $18,000 line, 9.99%
Capital One Venture One, $8,500 line, 20.9%
Amex Hilton Honors $25,000 line, 17.24%

Amex Delta Platinum, 20,000 line, 22.99%
Belk store card, $124 line, 15%, $0 balance on all cards
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: keep getting declined for Amex CLI

@Agent86 wrote:

i have blue cash preferred. i applied for CLI on day 61, and every three months thereafter. declined every time. most usual stated reason was that i had too many liabilities in relation to my known assets. 

i suspect this has something to do with my LARGE student loans ($250k range--ivy league law school, really bad financial decision in retrospect)

my consumer debt is relatively low (11% of total credit, roughly), and salary is over $100k.  i pay off my amex in full between 3 and 5 times per month. 

IMHO only time and histoy with them will fix this problem 

Once they know your spending habits you'll be awarded a CLI 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 9
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@Agent86 wrote:

If amex doesn't want your bussiness use another card, only use the BCP for gas, and groceries, use another card for the rest, the rewards are most likely the same or better when not in those two catagories, if you feel the need to force your business on AMEX Apply for a charge card perhaps PRG since it waves the AF for the first year.

Other options are the Chase CSP minimum approval CL is 5000 or perhaps the freedom card.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 3 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

@Agent86 wrote:

If amex doesn't want your bussiness use another card, only use the BCP for gas, and groceries, use another card for the rest, the rewards are most likely the same or better when not in those two catagories, if you feel the need to force your business on AMEX Apply for a charge card perhaps PRG since it waves the AF for the first year.

Other options are the Chase CSP minimum approval CL is 5000 or perhaps the freedom card.

I agree.   Basically BCP is only really good for groceries, and that for $6K a year, so a $3k limit is fine.  And it's not as it's your biggest line, you have many other options.

Message 4 of 9
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@Agent86 wrote:

+1. What you really need is time. Spending habits aside, time will do both of the following:

1. Decrease your total liabilities (student loans)

2. Increase your income and total net worth

You're currently seen as risky because you have a lot of "baggage". Once you get rid of that, I don't think you'll have any issues with CLIs.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 5 of 9
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

I agree with the advice on here. You have other credit cards with good credit limits so use Amex reasonably and eventually they'll give you an increase once you put more charges and PIF every month. With your Student loans, it will just take more time and your credit file is a bit unusual to them. 

Message 6 of 9
370Z
Frequent Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@Agent86 wrote:

+1. What you really need is time. Spending habits aside, time will do both of the following:

1. Decrease your total liabilities (student loans)

2. Increase your income and total net worth

You're currently seen as risky because you have a lot of "baggage". Once you get rid of that, I don't think you'll have any issues with CLIs.

+1. This is your only recourse at this point.

EQ8 817 (3/24) EQ9 850 (1/24) EX8 828 (4/24) EX9 848 (4/24) TU8 819 (3/24)
Chase_Hyatt|10k|15.24%|6/13 * Amex_Hilton|10k|13.99%|8/13 * Chase_IHG|10k|15.24%|1/14 * Chase_Ink$|12k|13.24%|5/14 * NFCU$|46k|9.65%|12/14 * Amex_ED|10k|12.99%|1/16 * Citi_Custom$|45k|15.24%|4/16 * Merrill+|68k|12.99%|2/17 * Amex_BB+|10k|15.24%|3/18 * PenFed_Pathfinder|29.4k|12.74%|9/18 * WF_Autograph|25k|16.99%|7/19 * AODFCU_VS|22k|7.49%|4/20 * Chase_Ritz_Carlton|48.5k|15.99%|10/21 * Amex_BB$|42k|13.24%|8/22 * Redstone_FCU_VS|10k|12.00%|6/23 * C1_VX|30k|14.74%|1/24
Gone: CSP, AA x3, Ink+, Premier, CSR, CFU, CF, AARP, Limitless
Message 7 of 9
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@Agent86 wrote:

+1 all you can do is wait and let time work for you.... yeah the 250k student loans is more and likey the reason.

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 8 of 9
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

Is the wording being used actually "liabilities vs. assets"?

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.