Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

leaving a credit on credit cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

leaving a credit on credit cards

Will paying more than the balance on my credit card hurt me at all? ive noticed with two of my cards, i do not owe anything on them but i do have a credit on there if that makes any sense.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: leaving a credit on credit cards

Pretty sure overpaying will not hurt your report or score negatively Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 3
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: leaving a credit on credit cards

@Anonymous wrote:

Will paying more than the balance on my credit card hurt me at all? ive noticed with two of my cards, i do not owe anything on them but i do have a credit on there if that makes any sense.

A positive balance will report as $0 on your credit reports.

The only way that this might hurt you is if all your cards report $0, whether because they're actually at $0, or because you have a credit due. Most of us do better to have one card reporting a balance (maybe two, depending on how many cards your have, how many installment loans, yada yada.)

So no, having a credit doesn't hurt you per se. It only potentially hurts if it means that you have no CC's reporting balances.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.