Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

looking for anyone that applied online in the 1990's

tag
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

looking for anyone that applied online in the 1990's

i am curious, as i am looking for earliest that one could apply for a card online and get instant approval. was it 1996, or 1995 or even earlier than that?

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: looking for anyone that applied online in the 1990's

* ponders whether the interwebbles was even up and running, at least for commercial stuff *  Smiley Very Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 7
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

* ponders whether the interwebbles was even up and running, at least for commercial stuff *  Smiley Very Happy

Ah.... the Internet of the mid-90s... I actually was online and remember those days!

Yes, the net was around in 1995-96, but ecommerce had not yet hit the scene. Websites were static and strictly informational rather than dynamic and interactive; all that was provided was information about a company. It wasn't until the late 90s that sites began taking apps online and granting instant approvals.

I remember one of the hottest sites on the net circa 1994-95 was "The Really Big Button That Doesn't Do Anything." It was a site that was exactly like the name... it consisted of a really big button, you could click on it, and it didn't do anything. And yet it was very exciting at the time! A really big button! And it was there for the clicking! Wow!!! -- Oh, how far things have come. On second thought, maybe things haven't come that far; Cap1 has just such a button. However, they label it as "Modify Your Features." Smiley Wink

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 3 of 7
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@scottwagnon wrote:

i am curious, as i am looking for earliest that one could apply for a card online and get instant approval. was it 1996, or 1995 or even earlier than that?

I applied and was approved for an Applied Bank Card online back in late 1997, and Merrick Bank in mid 1999.

Edited to correct: I'm sure that I got the Applied Card Bank CC in 97, because I checked the date on my reports. But as I've had a chance to think about it, I can't say for certain that the approval was online. I know that the 1999 Merrick Bank card was, but I think that one may have been the earliest online app that I had. And Providian was an instant online approval for certain, in 2000.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 4 of 7
dude11
Regular Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Ah.... the Internet of the mid-90s... I actually was online and remember those days!

Yes, the net was around in 1995-96, but ecommerce had not yet hit the scene. Websites were static and strictly informational rather than dynamic and interactive; all that was provided was information about a company. It wasn't until the late 90s that sites began taking apps online and granting instant approvals.

I remember one of the hottest sites on the net circa 1994-95 was "The Really Big Button That Doesn't Do Anything." It was a site that was exactly like the name... it consisted of a really big button, you could click on it, and it didn't do anything. And yet it was very exciting at the time! A really big button! And it was there for the clicking! Wow!!! -- Oh, how far things have come. On second thought, maybe things haven't come that far; Cap1 has just such a button. However, they label it as "Modify Your Features." Smiley Wink

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA tinuviel THAT WAS GOOD!!!

I actually tried that stupid cr@p today and didn't do anything for me!!!

Message 5 of 7
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

it was this commercial that inspired the curiosity

discover card -- SMART MOVE! http://youtu.be/htzzSapAYXA

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 6 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I was in college at the time, and opened my first cards starting in '95-'97, but I remember applying on campus via a clipboard in exchange for free t-shirts, plastic steins, and the occasional necessary pen before class.

ETA...I don't remember any online apps or access.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.