cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

macys store card and macys amex question.

tag
mokong
Regular Contributor

macys store card and macys amex question.

i have both with the cl of store card 2k and amex 6k, can i transfer the limit of store card to amex and close it? anyone does this?

store card opened; May '10

macys amex   opened; Dec '12

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
mnavas
Frequent Contributor

Re: macys store card and macys amex question.

My understanding is that you can either have the store version or both (amex+store acc) theres no way to just have the Macys amex without a store acc tied to it...
Message 2 of 13
jsucool76
Super Contributor

+1
Thats how i think it works as well.
Message 3 of 13
fedxboy
Established Contributor

That's good to know!!  I've only had my macy's store card since April 12.  Started with a 500 limit and after 6-8 months I had it increased to 1500.  Just last week, I asked for the upgrade to AMEX and they said it would be a HP and it would take 1 full billing cycle to find out the answer. hmmmm

The next day, I signed into my Macy's, it showed the Macy's Amex pictured over the red card that was previously there and in a weeks time, I haven't seen any HP whatsoever.  When I called the phone # it did ask which card I wanted to hear the stats on and it said my Macy's Amex card had a 4k CL.  I wouldn't mind having them combined too!

(7/23/16) AMEX FICO EX 728, (6/20/16) Discover FICO TU 747, (7/24/16) Barclays FICO 750 (TC Lines $400+K) AAoA= 4.3 yrs
Message 4 of 13
eviLution
Established Contributor

I thought I read that you can just apply for the Macy's Amex if you apply in store? Do you really need the store card first before getting the Amex?

DCU Platinum: 4000 - Discover IT: 11000 - Walmart: 5000 - AMEX BCP: 18000 - Chase Freedom VS: 5000
in the garden since 1/24/14 - #GARDENSTRONG
Message 5 of 13
mnavas
Frequent Contributor

Fedxboy, same here i opened my store account in 09/2011 i requested the my account to be "upgraded" to the Amex version through the chat, they asked me for my income ($25,000) you know thos typical questions they said they will do a hard pull in my report and it could take one billing cycle to get a decision three days after that i logged on my account profile and there was an Macys Amex black card showing up on my profile (i used to have the Gold store card) so i called and they said i was approved for $6000 which was a surprise my previous highest limit was $3000 on my Macys store account... And like you said they didn't do a hard pull in my reports.. It could be cuz my FiCO score according to Amex was 811. My mom requested an upgrade for her Macys store acc in 2010 n despite she opened her account in 2001 she got denied and Macys did hard pull her experian report.. She has some baddies in her report (a short sale and a collection which occured in 2007) Macys sent her a letter saying that she was denied for "Major denquency" Her score was 700 in the scale of 200-990. So who knows maybe they do hard pull your report when they see derrogatories in your Soft pulled report
Message 6 of 13
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@eviLution wrote:
I thought I read that you can just apply for the Macy's Amex if you apply in store? Do you really need the store card first before getting the Amex?

You can never just have the Macys American Express card. If you apply in store you will be considered for that first and if you do not qualify, you will be given the store card. Even if you get the American Express branded one, you still will have a store account. There is no way to close the store account and keep the American Express version open.

They do not allow you to move credit between the two cards at all. The only way to increase the limit is to ask for a credit limit increase.

People reporting no hard inquiries, have you looked at Experian? That is who they use and I believe it took a few days for the inquiry to show up, I don't remember. I have never heard of them opening the account without a hard inquiry. The account isn't an "upgrade" either. It is a completely seperate account and will show up as a new account on credit reports. The accounts are linked onto the same card, but Macys sees them as two different accounts.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good info in here as I was just thinking to myself this morning if I could upgrade to the AMEX over just the store card. I don't think I will do it though if it may require a HP and if it will be a separate card. No way I need 2 macy's card I barely use mine now.

I also find it odd that I started at a $200 limit 2 years ago and I was somehow bumped up to $2,500 CL when I checked on my account for the first time a few months back

Message 8 of 13
mnavas
Frequent Contributor

I requested my store acc to be upgraded to the Amex version on 11/26/2012 the account was created on 11/30/2012 (i know its not actually an upgrade, its just a new credit line to be  used ouside the store) I check my Exp report almost every day and until today no Macys hard inquiry is showing up in my report As i said before my guess is that they do hard pull your Exp report when you're either in the borderline approval criteria or your score doesn't look good in the soft pull (AR)

Message 9 of 13
Imua
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Good info in here as I was just thinking to myself this morning if I could upgrade to the AMEX over just the store card. I don't think I will do it though if it may require a HP and if it will be a separate card. No way I need 2 macy's card I barely use mine now.

I also find it odd that I started at a $200 limit 2 years ago and I was somehow bumped up to $2,500 CL when I checked on my account for the first time a few months back

technically, it's not 2 cards... one card (with Amex logo and an Amex cc number), but 2 tradelines report to CRAs under separate acct numbers, statements are generated separately and due dates are/ can be different

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.