cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

making minimum payments = negative account?

tag
gettnthere
Established Contributor

Re: making minimum payments = negative account?

@kevinjjc wrote:
Making minimum payments will keep your account positive, but don't expect any CLI's, and you might get balance chased.

+1, seems like Lenders get nervous if you have a large balance and are only making the min payment for months. thats when they like to start balance chasing, which will probably kill your util.

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 11 of 13
miltown81
New Contributor

Yes, as long as you pay the minimum you'll be fine on your payment history. Paying on time is a HUGE facor on your FICO score. You will still want to pay down your balance to better your score as well. Good luck!

Starting Score: 711
Current Score: 819
Goal Score: 820

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 13
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

my best buy store card is my oldest card at 2 years and a month. ive held balances for more then 50% of th credit line on 0% interest. there has been span's of when i only made minumum payments. 4/5 months at a time. 

working for 8/9 dollars an hour and buying game systems/ games/ and tvs. is part of my younger teenager self. (not the case anymore)

i was never EVER late. no i didnt pay in full but i did pay at least the minumum if not more.  

my reports have no negatives. 

all paid as agreed. with ok in every little box . 

edit: forgot to mention that my cl was 2k when i opened the card and now is at 2.5k. i recently held a 2k balance with making only min payments for 4/5 months since there was no interest and i wasnt planning on buying anything or apping for anything. 

as soon as i decided it was time for a new car, i called them and authorized them to pay my account in full through my checking account (this was 2300 dollars out of 2.5k) and i have not seen a decrease or a line closure. 

but as stated my reports have no negatives what so ever so every case is ymmv as always. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.