Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mmm, Amex Blue Cash rewards time $355

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

mmm, Amex Blue Cash rewards time $355

After using and abusing my Amex Blue Cash card, I finally got my first rewards credit. $355!

Hoping for more next year Smiley Happy

Anyone else get their rewards this month, or expecting them soon?

We'll see how many times I can put my Chase card through the cash back machine this year. lol!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: mmm, Amex Blue Cash rewards time $355

Great job!

Do you use any other cards at all, or do you run everything through the Blue Cash?

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

In 2010 I put everything through the AmEx.

This year I'm going to expense as much as possible through both cards to get the intro rewards with Chase Freedom ($100 for $800 in first 3 months) as well as buy into the top tier in the blue cash as fast as possible.

We'll see. They call me the lunch lady in the office because I organize all lunch orders in the office and put them all on my cards... $300-400 a week Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good Job!

BTW, based on your spending, a Fidelity Amex would net you more for maximizing rewards.  It has a straight 2% cash back on everything.  Stacked with your intro deal, you would probably double up Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 9
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

Year To Date Cash Back: $362.89

Year To Date Spending: $18,719.00
*Gas: $846.11
*Grocery: $5,443.79
*Drug Store: $405.27
*Everywhere Else: 12,023.83

Current Cash Back Rate: 1.93%
Expected Cash Back Rate: 2.10%

My cash back pays out on my November statement, meaning I have two more months to close before the cash back is calcuated. Last year, my cash back was 2.05%.

Just like beeks, I put all my spending on Blue card that can be charged to an Amex (trying to get the wife to the same as well).

@beeks -- I'm willing to bet that you are not fully taking advantage of the grocery category. Unless you shop at a Walmart Supercenter or a warehouse club, that's one area you can really rack up cash back on this card (one reason that we do so well is that most of our wine purchases are from grocery stores).

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Stan,

You're right, I don't! I rarely buy groceries!

Message 6 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@stan_the_man wrote:

Year To Date Cash Back: $362.89

Year To Date Spending: $18,719.00
*Gas: $846.11
*Grocery: $5,443.79
*Drug Store: $405.27
*Everywhere Else: 12,023.83

. . . . . .

@Anonymous -- I'm willing to bet that you are not fully taking advantage of the grocery category. Unless you shop at a Walmart Supercenter or a warehouse club, that's one area you can really rack up cash back on this card (one reason that we do so well is that most of our wine purchases are from grocery stores).

Dang, that's a bunch of vino! Smiley Very Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 9
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

About $800 of the groceries was wine (<$18/week) -- just about the only luxury we splurge on. Usually, when we buy a nicer bottle, it's because we didn't go out and spend money on dinner or movie.

I imagine that our  groceries are a little bit than our peers because we rarely eat out for lunch during the workweek. Just about everyone I know grabs something to go for lunch. Most people don't realize how much money they spend on lunches during the work week.

Based on 234 work days per year (365 days - 104 weekend days - 10 vacation days - 13 holidays - 4 personal/sick/other days):

• $5/day - $1,170
  • $6/day - $1,404
  • $7/day - $1,638
  • $8/day - $1,872
  • $9/day - $2,106
  • $10/day - $2,340

That's a lot of money for most people. Of course, you need to double all those numbers if you have two people in a HH working and eating out for lunch.

Message 8 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Makes sense to me.

I'd much rather pack a lunch and be able to buy a nice bottle of wine than try to run out and get some sort of meal in a half-hour's time.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.