Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

move the credit limit from one card to another card

tag
allaboutcredit
Valued Member

move the credit limit from one card to another card

Recently, Citibank closed my credit card due to no usage in the past 24 months. I have another credit card from Citibank which I use intermittently.

My problem is I have more than one credit card with the same financial institutions. It was dumb of me to open so many accounts. My fico score is in the

range of 780-790. 

I want to protect my oldest account by using it more often. But, I'd also like to move the credit limit from one card to another card by the same organization and close 

the other card accounts. For example, I have 3 credit card account from Chase bank. 

Is it a good idea to do this ? Will it impact my credit score ? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Frank3

Re: move the credit limit from one card to another card

That's exactly what I'm doing.  However, from what I have been reading, it's easier to do with some banks than others.

Barclay - easy.  Just took a phone call to move limits from a newer card to an older one and then close the newer one.

Chase - supposed to be easy.

Citi - seems like it depends who you get on the phone.

Message 2 of 5
minski
Established Contributor

Barclay was easy. Just a phone call and they moved CL from my Apple Rewards to my Ring. 

Chase was easy, too. Just send a secure message. 

Citi - I haven't tried. Heard it was a HP? I may end up attempting to move some of my Dividend limit to the DC - or take HP (do they consider HP if they've denied SP for being too soon to request a CLI? or can I request SP after being denied for too soon when the 6 months has passed?). The Dividend categories suck and I'm currently carrying a balance on the promo APR at 0% on the DC. I'd like to increase my limit to decrease my card's util percentage. 

Message 3 of 5
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Today just transferred full amount from Sallie Mae to Barclay rewards.. Easy call, no questions other than "why are you closing it." It went very smooth.

Edit: I should clarify one thing, when I closed my SM they asked me if I wanted to transfer full amount to BR. I didn't have to bring it up

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 4 of 5
Aahz
Established Contributor

@allaboutcredit wrote:

Is it a good idea to do this ? Will it impact my credit score ? 

In your situation, as described, it sounds ike a good idea for you.  It will have negligible impact on your FICO scores until the closed cards age off 10+ years from now.

@Frank3 wrote:

However, from what I have been reading, it's easier to do with some banks than others.

Rules for all the major issuers can be seen at http://www.doctorofcredit.com/rules-for-reallocating-your-credit-limit-with-each-credit-card-issuer/

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.