Did you mean: 

need vs want, a Discover IT APPROVAL?!

tag
agent_bob
New Contributor

need vs want, a Discover IT APPROVAL?!

Hi,

All I can say is WOW.

I'll make it a short summary. I'm a 22 y/o nursing student about to graduate at the end of the year. I recently PC'ed my BofA power rewards card to the Better Balance Card. Late last year, before I found out about this website, I applied for the Chase Freedom (switched banks from BofA to Chase). I was denied, but I recon'ed it and was approved for a $400 limit. The only card that I have been thinking about was the Discover IT. I was thinking what would be my best choice? Should I get the regular IT version or should I apply for the student version? After talking with reps via chat windows & reading posts / boards on this lovely website, I decided to apply now. I applied for the regular Discover IT card over the student one because I felt like it would benefit me more long term & upon finding out my EQ FICO score through the free trial of scorewatch, I figured I don't have anything to lose. 

SO, today. I called in Discover and wanted to apply over the phone with a CSR for the regular IT card. He told me that the minimum income was $10,000 (something that I did not reach). I kindly told him that I needed more time to think about it and stopped the application over the phone. I then decided to apply for the IT online. Filled out information and stated that I was a full time student. Finished app. I got the dreaded 7-10 day notice. Then it said I needed to verify my identity as a student & submitted two school files.

I called Discover once again within a 10 min period to see if I could get my application reviewed. Had small talk with a lady and said I was APPROVED. I was shocked and surprised. Literally, speechless. I was approved for a $1,500 BALANCE. That is my second highest card. I will definitely be gardening for a LONG time.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has made this forum / website possible.
Without it I would not have learned all the knowledge I currently know.

At the time of the application these were my utilization:

Freedom (reported on 3/13) $0 out of $400 

BofA (reported 2/24) $130 out of $1800

EQ FICO via myfico (as of 3/8/13) was a 743 

how to cancel free trial of score watch
Chase Freedom Unlimited - $15,000 (5/16) | Discover IT - $9,800 (3/13) | Chase Freedom - $7,000 (12/12) | BofA 123 Cash - $7,500 (10/10)
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: need vs want, Discover IT. APPROVED?!

Congrats. Now get back to the garden. Myjourney is firing up the grill!
Message 2 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

Lol ...slipped out of the garden that fast....

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 10
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the approval!

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 4 of 10
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:

Yeah, he's got some really great stuff on the buffet!

CONGRATS, agent_bob on the really nice approval! Enjoy your new Discover. Smiley Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 5 of 10
WarJar101
Frequent Contributor

Congrats dude, we're the same age but apparently you had better luck than I did with Discover. I applied for the "It for Students" three times and got denied. So I think IMO, they're not even worth the hassle anymore. 

BTW how's nursing school btw? Are you from NYC by any chance? I'm working on pre-reqs myself to enroll in a program.

Rebuilding...been out of the game for a minute. Now, after suffering I'm back with greater wisdom. Scores: Currently @ around 6 teens to 20's, across all three EQ,TU, EX
Message 6 of 10
agent_bob
New Contributor

Thank you! 09Lexie, myjourney, Epcot, AND tinuviel!

@WarJar101 wrote:

Congrats dude, we're the same age but apparently you had better luck than I did with Discover. I applied for the "It for Students" three times and got denied. So I think IMO, they're not even worth the hassle anymore. 

BTW how's nursing school btw? Are you from NYC by any chance? I'm working on pre-reqs myself to enroll in a program.

thanks! What was the reason for being denied?

Aha it's pretty tough, chugging along, but somewhat managable. No, sorry I'm from Southern California. Goodluck to you!

A little update: I am still in shock about being approved for this card. I JUST called them right now and asked about what my apr would be after the 0% intro apr rate, and they told me it would be 14.99% the LOWEST of all three cards I currently have. She kept telling me that is a very prime rate. I'm excited to finally recieve the card later this week!

Chase Freedom Unlimited - $15,000 (5/16) | Discover IT - $9,800 (3/13) | Chase Freedom - $7,000 (12/12) | BofA 123 Cash - $7,500 (10/10)
Message 7 of 10
WarJar101
Frequent Contributor

Length of Credit History, too many recent inquiries. The usual. I have no derogs. In my mind, it's a student card it should be hard to get, I'll even accept a low 500 limit. But they dont want my business so, I guess it is what it is and it was what it was...

Rebuilding...been out of the game for a minute. Now, after suffering I'm back with greater wisdom. Scores: Currently @ around 6 teens to 20's, across all three EQ,TU, EX
Message 8 of 10
agent_bob
New Contributor

@WarJar101 wrote:

Length of Credit History, too many recent inquiries. The usual. I have no derogs. In my mind, it's a student card it should be hard to get, I'll even accept a low 500 limit. But they dont want my business so, I guess it is what it is and it was what it was...

Did you try for recon?

Just a little update: I did get the 0% intro APR for 14 months until 6/2014. I read around the boards that some people had different offers when finally recieving their card. I was approved on Friday & recieved the card on Wednesday. It did include my FICO score from TU and it was 748. Still in shock about those scores. Now I just need to figure out when to use my Discover instead of my Freedom & BofA Cash Rewards card....

Message 9 of 10
WarJar101
Frequent Contributor

I tried like 3 times so far. I haven't received the denial letter yet, there advice to me is to check my credit reports and see if any of the INQs on there are mine. I know they are, but it's the same answer I get all the time.

Maybe, I'm not leading the convo correctly.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.